Honeymoon Tips: Barcelona and Greece

Oct 29th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Honeymoon Tips: Barcelona and Greece

Hi all,

My fiance and I will be heading to Europe for our honeymoon in early and mid-September 2010 and we were hoping for some advice. I backpacked through Europe a few years back and fell in love with Barcelona. We would also like to go to Greece. We can likely spend 8-10 days at each. As some background, we are both avid distance runners but also love lounging on the beach, eating great food and seeing historical sights. We don't want to have a ton of travel during the trip but could do some day trips to take advantage of the trip. We want to live and travel well but we also don't need 4 star service. Clean, safe hotels, nice, fun beaches and good restaurants are what we would like. Any and all advice is welcome!

Thanks,
Bernie
Oct 29th, 2009, 02:05 PM

"I'm going to Greece....what's the name of a good hotel?" Is this what you're asking? Really??
Oct 29th, 2009, 02:49 PM

Welcome to fodor's forums. I see you're new here.

I suggest you Go to "Destinations" in the Fodor's site and read tons of information about your potential destinations.
Peruse the forum to get a feel for Greece and Barcelona. Use the search box in forums to read trip reports about Barcelona and Greece.

You've offered lots of good information about yourself but come back with more narrow questions after doing a little homework about the places you'd like to go. You might ask a narrow question like, "Best way to travel from Barcelona to Athens". If you decide that transportation between the two places is too costly or takes too long ask, "Barcelona and what beach town for a two week honeymoon?"
Oct 29th, 2009, 02:51 PM

You could rent an apartment in Barcelona, which we did last month. Site I usually use are www.holidaylettings.co.uk and www.holidayrentals.co.uk
Oct 29th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I will do more sleuthing and try to come with more focused questions. As I didn't even know where to begin with Greece, I thought I might get some general anecdotes of what people have liked and not liked but perhaps that was a bit presumptuous.
Oct 29th, 2009, 05:20 PM

You will find out what people have liked and not liked more easily by looking at the wealth of information already on the site rather than waiting for responses to your very broad question.

There are so many people who plan a trip, ask questions here and finish with trip reports then move on to a different part of the forums, never to be heard from again about a particular destination. So while you may get a handful of responses to your question you can get pages and pages of info just by using the search box typing in various combinations like "honeymoon in Greece", "favorite Greek island", "Greece trip report."

There are other forum regulars who are experts on specific destinations often because they live there or have in the past. Check out http://www.maribelsguides.com/ for great info on many Spanish cities including a great pdf on Barcelona. I stumbled upon maribel's guides by using the search function. I'm sure there are experts for Greece too.
Oct 30th, 2009, 05:57 AM

Congratulations!

You'll be on your honeymoon, so I'll tend towards the romantic - my favourite and most romantic combination of Greek islands was Santorini-Paros-Naxos. Certainly do-able in 10 days as they are all on the same ferry route. Have a look at these destinations and see do they appeal to you.

Some of my friends swear by Sitges as a relaxed beach base to use to see Barcelona. Might be worth a look too?

jane
Oct 30th, 2009, 07:27 AM

In case you decide to go to Barcelona and a Spanish beach town. http://www.spain.info/TourSpain/Cost...s/?language=EN
Oct 30th, 2009, 07:31 AM

While it would make more sense and likely be more economical to stay in Spain the entire time, if you dream of Barcelona-Greece, then I would start by checking the flight options to make sure it would work and be affordable.
Oct 30th, 2009, 10:47 AM

A great resource for Barcelona is Maribel's Guides at www.maribelsguides.com.