Italy Lakes Region

Search

Italy Lakes Region

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy Lakes Region

We are just starting the planning for a 7-10 day trip to Italy Lakes area and have some basic questions. We will be flying into Milan. Our basic idea is to take a train from Milan, then use ferries, train or bus to explore the region.
1) What lake towns are served by trains from Milan?
2) Any suggestion on a place convenient as a base? We are in our seventies and enjoy exploring the different cities in the area.
3) Any recommended hotels, restaurants or travel tips?

Thanks,
Jim
Old May 30th, 2010, 10:40 AM

The easiest place to stay is in Varenna as it is a straight shot from Milan, 1 hour on the train. From there you can day trip by ferry to the other lake side cities. You can also train to many places such as Bergamo.
Old May 31st, 2010, 10:15 AM

There are 5 major lakes in north Italy--I assume you are considering Lago Como. If so, entry via Varenna may make good sense. Also, consider Stresa on Lago Maggiore, but that means another trip to Milan to connect. Have fun !
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 03:13 AM

What time of the year will you be travelling?
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 04:09 AM

I notice that you posted in Europe, so it depends on which airport you are flying into. If you are flying into Malpensa or Bergamo, then you can catch a train to Lake Garda(e.g.) arriving at Peschiera del Garda. This then gives you the access to all the Lake towns round Garda.

I prefer Sirmione as a base as it's centrally located at the bottom of the lake and handy for the round the lake trip. We've stayed at the Olivi and the Flamini hotels, both of which I can recommend.

Sirmione is a beautiful place though busy in the season with tourists. In the evenings however, once the day trippers have gone, it's great to walk around the small centre inside the Castle gateway and eat, drink and shop.
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 02:29 AM

Jim

It is strange but most Italians who live on one of the main lakes are not familiar with the other lakes or even all of their “own” lake. In fact, those from Milan will probably know the various northern lakes better than someone from Como, Stresa, Sirmione etc. Many from Como hardly ever visit Lecco on the other leg and often the nearest they get is passing through the Lecco tunnel on their way to skiing at Aprica or Bormio. Many have never been to Varenna which is often lauded in this forum.

If you intend to visit only lake Como then I would be indifferent between Como, Bellagio, Cadenabbia or Varenna. However, since you wish to visit a number of lakes I would suggest basing yourself at Como or perhaps Cernobbio.

The main northern lakes and principal places to visit are:
1.Lake Maggiore – Stresa and Borromean Islands, Locarno
2.Lake Como – Como, Bellagio, Tremezzo for Villa Carlotta, Varenna
3.Lake Lugano – Lugano
4.Lake Iseo – the smallest of the five and harder to access
5.Lake Garda – Desenzano, Salo, Sirmione and Peschiera

From Como you need to take a train to Milan first before an onward leg to Lakes Maggiore and Garda. I think you could reasonably do Lake Maggiore in a day but it might be worthwhile spending a night at Lake Garda. Lake Lugano is not far from Como and can be reached by train from Como in roughly half an hour.

If you can tell me what your interests are I can make further suggestions. Also when are you travelling and what is your budget range for hotels?
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 03:06 AM

I've wondered why Lake Iseo is never mentioned here. Can you tell me a bit more about that lake, Nochblad, if you have time?

Most people on this forum seem to stay in Bellagio.
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 03:32 AM

I have to admit that I have never been there but I understand that it a very beautiful lake and famous for having the largest island in any European lake south of the Alps.

It is not as accessible as the other main lakes and perhaps this is why it is not so well known to Fodorites.

Lake Iseo is famous for its Riva speedboats (although the company first started at Laglio on Lake Como).

Regarding Bellagio - it is rightly popular but Jim is planning 7-10 days. I think you might get a bit fed up after so long despite the wonderful location and this may be problematic if he is travelling off season with fewer transport connections. Also he is better based in or near Como to reach the other lakes otherwise he always has a half hour to an hour to tag on to his trip both morning and evening.
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 05:59 AM

We will be traveling from Montreaux, Switzerland for 2 days into Northern Italy in a July. Any suggestions for a quick trip over the border? We're thinking of Lake Maggiore or somewhere further west. We'd love to hear what other suggest. Thanks
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 06:20 AM

The best bet coming from Montreux would be Stresa which is about 2 hours direct train. You must visit the Borromean Islands with perhaps lunch at the Casabella on Isola dei Pescatori.
You can also visit - using the boat service - Verbania and Baveno. Boat timetables etc - http://www.navigazionelaghi.it/eng/mag/nlm.html
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 06:37 AM

Visit Lake Como - it's so beautiful... even George Clooney has a house there.
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 11:01 AM

Thanks, Nochblad.

Personally, I think Cernobbio would also be a good place to stay, but it does not appear to be very popular here.

You did not include Lake Orta in your list--any reason for that?
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 11:42 AM

Lake Orta - I have to admit that I know nothing about it!

Cernobbio is a great place with hotels from the fabulous Villa d'Este to simpler abodes such as La Vignetta. There are great restaurants too. It is a very popular place to visit for an ice cream or an aperitivo and a nice passeggiata down by the lake. Transport to Como and other places on the lake is well served by a regular bus service as well as lake transport.

I would remind everyone of the wonderful Rubens exhibition at Villa Olmo - 15/20 minutes walk from Cernobbio - see the blog in English I prepared - http://rubens-at-como.blogspot.com/
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 12:22 PM

Actually, Orta is in my list of 5 and is my favorite romantic destination in Italy.
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 03:13 AM

Nochblad and Ekscrunchy, you both seem to be very knowledgable about the Lakes region.

We are going in September and plan to split 6 days between Lakes Garda and Como. Would be very interested in your hotel recommendations in the $150-200 range. Possible?

Also, would you stay in or take a day trip to the Dolomites?
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 06:03 AM

On Lake Como, I would try this place next time; I like the location. See if you can fit ti into your budget. But remember that I've not stayed there yet so have no actual experience as a guest.
If it is too pricey, you might look into renting an apartment if your stay is at least a few days.

http://www.laperlatremezzo.com/en

Bellagio would probably not be my choice for a hotel base, but if you like the idea of staying there, look at this small hotel just out of the center in the Loppia district. Famed for its restaurant.

http://www.bellagiosilvio.com/
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 06:05 AM

Also looks lovely and in a good location:

http://www.bellagiomiralago.com/homeeng.html