Italy Lakes, Dolomites, Venice Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2005, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the beginning stages of planning a trip to Italy for September, and would appreciate any advice about our possible itinerary from all you Italy pros.

We'll have a maximum of two weeks, and will probably fly into Milan and out of Venice.

We'll rent a car, and head first to the lakes, maybe 4 nights in Bellagio? (we don't like to move around a lot) Thinking about the Hotel Firenze.

Is Bellagio really the best base for exploring the area by car? We'd like to have great views and excellent restaurants to choose from.

Next to the Dolomites for a few days-- I'm looking at the Rosa Alpina in San Cassiano for hiking, good meals, and spa treatments. (good off-season rates for a Relais & Chateaux)

Then the last part of the trip in Venice, where we'll be celebrating our anniversary. Not sure of a hotel there-- maybe La Calcina?

I'd welcome your suggestions or comments about this itinerary, and any restaurant recommendations.

Also, I looked at airfares, and right now it's around $800/ person. I'm not very familiar with how open-jaw fares usually run--What's anybody's best guess about what I should expect for IND-Milan, Venice-IND?

Thanks for your help!
Marcy
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 07:35 PM
rex

Marcy,

Even four years ago, I was surprised that the spring came and went, and the summer was well on to comming and going and I could not find fares much lower than that for CMH (Columbus)-MIL/ROM-CMH for Sep 19-30. I don't recall precisely what I paid, but it was very close to $800 - - ad that was even before the taxes nd all those fees, post 9/11 got to be as high as they are now.

Keep your eyes peeled for the new nonstop service PHL-VCE this spring. Might be worthwhile to NOT fly open jaw, if they end up with a good connection. The only other way to travel one-stop is through JFK on Delta, I think.

Bellagio is terrific - - since you'll have a car, there is merit to considering Menaggio, since there i lot to explore on that wesern "shoreline". We enjoyed the private boat offered by Grand Victoria Hotel Menaggio, though I am sure there are better hotels. Be aware of Grand Prix (Monza) week - - everyone on the continent wants to come to Como then.

On another thread, kyb and I have thrown out the idea of a "second annual" IN/KY/OH Fodors GTG - - March 5 or 12 - - would either of those appeal to you and John? I have also proposed some alternative locations.

Need to start a separate thread on this, I guess.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Rex!
I'm kind of tempted to go ahead and book the flights now, because I don't know if it'll go THAT much lower. It would probably be worth $100 or so in peace of mind to have tickets in hand.

So which one is really more beautiful, Belaggio or Menaggio? It sounds to me as though Belaggio may have more to offer in terms of good restaurants and possibly views. What do you think?

John & I would love to come to another GTG, although I'd push for Indianapolis this time, if some of you would be willing to make the trip.

We can't do March 5, so I'd vote for the12th, if it's going to be in March. David (Indytravel) and I had talked about having one in the fall, if March doesn't work.

Old Feb 7th, 2005, 08:19 PM
rex

Do you know other Indy Fodorites (besides David)? I'll be in favor of Columbus or Nashville - - at least maybe meet the rest of the Hoosiers the rest of the way (maybe kyb would want to tride with - - since it makes it further for her)...

I'll send an e-mail seeing if March 12 appeals to others, before starting a separate thread.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 03:10 AM
Original Poster

Rex, Yes there are a couple of other Indy Fodorites that I know of-- dln is one.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Doble_Vergasser

I have spent a few hours in both Bellagio and Menaggio. I guess Bellagio gives more of a mountainous feel. In Bellagio the only level area is the waterfront. Menaggio apears to be built of a small flat area (the steep slopes are still nearby).

I can't say which I would prefer but with a car, the ferry is the convenient way out of Bellagio.

Old Feb 8th, 2005, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks-
I guess Bellagio sounds a little better to me.

Any restaurant suggestions?