Italy lakes and on to Germany....

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in need of some input. We will be visiting some friends in Frankfurt in late September. Before we get to their house we will be spending a week in the lake region in Italy.

From Bellagio we will drive to Frankfurt.. What should we plan on seeing along the way?

-Munich for Oktoberfest?
-Switzerland?
-Open to all thoughts....

We are a family of four with 2 young kids ages 2 and 7. I'm very interested in all of your suggestions. Thanks!

Old May 14th, 2005, 04:47 PM
rex

Well, it seems to me that there are so many fun places actually <i><b>on</b></i> &quot;<u>the</u>&quot; route (prescribed by viamichelin) that I wouldn't see why you should divert to Munich.

And I'm not even a Switzerland expert in the slightest (a lot of regulars here are).

Lugano, Altdorf and Lucerne are all wonderful little destinations for short stops or (particularly the Lucerne area) an overnight stay. And there are several alternatives to Lucerne itself, around the lake for alternative choices to stay, if you decide to overnight. Your seven year old might especially like a chance to go up &quot;to the top&quot;... Rigi or Titlis, for example.

And then you could take 10 hours or ten days in the Black Forest. While others seem not to think highly of Baden-Baden, I think there is a lot to like there, and various nearby towns (Oberkirch, for example - - and from there, it's a <u>very</u> short diversion over to Strasbourg, in the Alsace departement of France).

Lots and lots of good choices!

Best wishes,

Rex
Old May 14th, 2005, 07:11 PM

The Lake Region encompasses a big area and several lakes. We just returned last week....Germany, Austria,Italy....and from Lake Garda (beautiful fun town of Riva on the northern end of the lake. As we passed the southern part of Lake Garda there were some theme parks and things for children.) Leaving Riva del Garda we drove north through the Dolomites...interesting Mt. towns...and passed through Trento, Bolzano, and stayed at Bressanone/Brixen . Then on up to Innsbruck, Austria (fun and interesting and when there 30 years ago with our two little boys, while living overseas, we visited the former Olympic ski runs etc and the kids could run down it and roll in the grass ), Two weeks ago after leaving Innsbruck we stayed on Lake Constance, then on up to the Rhine (stayed at Boppard) and then into FRankfurt.
Of course all of this is to the EAst more than Lake Como,, which straight north would be Switzerland!. But there are lots of possibilities. Bellagio is indeed nice and Lake Como beautiful...but I am thinking of the children.
WARNING: IF you are going to be driving in gorgeous Austria, BUY a necessary sticker for the car (only 7 euro). Don't rely on the car rental company to tell you about it!!!! or you might get a 120 euro fine!!!
Old May 15th, 2005, 05:36 AM
Doble_Vergasser

If you are in Bellagio, you will find that the car rental offices are most probably down in Como.

As mentioned above, you will be going thru either Switzerland or Austria. There is a Michelin green for Switzerland (I don't know about one for Austria). There also is a book that looks at both countries &quot;Motorcycle journeys thru the Alps and Corsica&quot; by John Hermann (might not be your cup of tea tho').

With either route, the drive could be as quick as one day or take as many days as the itinerary allows.

You might study the Switzeralnd forum here.

Old May 15th, 2005, 08:25 PM
rex

Bringing your message back up &quot;to the top&quot; since you are fairly new here (how did I know that? Click on your own name - - a tip for finding any post you have ever made - - that Fodors fails to divulge to all new registrants, when they send you that confirmatory e-mail).

I see that you re-posted this question again tonight - - most likely, you were confused about &quot;where did it go&quot; (this first posting), and weren't sure how to find it.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old May 15th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much to all of you And Rex, Thanks for the insider info....I was a bit confused!
Old May 15th, 2005, 08:39 PM
rex

You're welcome.

Perhaps you would be willing to see http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34598057 and follow my request to e-mail THAT thread to [email protected]
Old May 16th, 2005, 12:35 AM

Mari, tell me nore about the car sticker for Austria. I will be there in ten days time and have heard nothing about it.

I take it you get it at any border crossing into Austria. Does it allow multiple entries? How long is it valid, once purchased?

Harzer
Old May 16th, 2005, 07:33 AM
rex

Harzer... Search here for &quot;vignette&quot; (maybe AND Austria, since there are posts here on Switzerland and vignette). I think there are vignettes for a year, and discounted ones for a week or month. And yes, you can leave and re-enter the country with it. I think they are mandatory on the autobahns, but not smaller roads. I have been to Austria three times in a rental car and I never bought one... BUT... my last car rental (2003) initiated IN (and concluded in) Austria, and so it may have already had one. AND, I get the sense that the highway police are cracking down... sounds like the penalty is quite high.
Old May 16th, 2005, 02:50 PM
rex

topping...
Old May 16th, 2005, 03:20 PM

I have been several times at Lake Garda (may favorite of the Italian lakes) and wholly support Mari5' suggested itineray.

Now as to the Austrian autobahn decal: You must have it on the autobahn, and some of the Schnellstrassen (limited access, but not autobahn status.) If you follow Mari's itinerary suggestion, you would get the decal at the former Austrian- Italian border at the Brenner pass, or possibly also at one of the service stations along the Brenner pass road in Italy. (I know you can get it at German service stations before reaching Austria, not so sure about Italian stations.)

Unlike the decal for the Swiss autobahns which is good for a full year, the Austrian can be bought for, I believe, 7 days and some longer periods of times. The 7 day sticker costs about US7.

But, again as Mari wrote, DON'T get on any Austrian autobahn without it. The police will catch you, it will cost you about $120, and you have to pay onn the spot, in Euro.

Now, one more question: Will you pick up your car in Italy and drop it off in Germany? If so, be aware: Some US credit card companies (AMEXCO, CAPITAL ONE) will not cover you for the Collision Damage Waver (CDW) in Italy. In fact, most rental car companies in Italy will make you buy the CDW before they will rent you a car. Besides, renting a car in Italy and dropping it off in Germany will incure a big drop-off charge. So, if you can still arrange it, fly to Munich and pick your car up there, and drive straight to the lake of your choice in one day(Munich, Garmisch, Mittenwald, Innsbruck, Bolzano, Trento). On the way back, drive Bolzano, Cortina, Innsbruck, Lake Constance, Black Forest (Freiburg, Baden-Baden) and Frankfurt.
Old May 16th, 2005, 06:58 PM
rex

It can be cost prohibitive to rent in one country and rop in another. For your needs, perhaps you could rent from Lugano - - and drop the car in Basel (the &quot;tri-country&quot; airport) - - can you alter your flight and get a conenctor from Basel to Frankfurt?
Old May 16th, 2005, 10:32 PM

Thanks for that info, Rex!

We are not autobahnists. My old Shell Atlas does not have detailed maps of the whole of Austria, but from what I can see it is pretty hard to avoid them, however, so I guess we had better fork out the 7 Euros and get the Plakette, or whatever it is called in Austria.

We are heading for Vienna and then Bratislava and beyond, with maybe a side trip into southern Poland. We are suddenly very hesitant about taking our lease-car into Poland, and may look for little bus tours in from Poprad or wherever.

Best wishes from...

Harzer
Old May 17th, 2005, 04:24 AM
rex

You're welcome Harzer. I am not sure why you are apprehensive about taking your car into Poland, as long as your lease source has provided the proper documents, allowing you to do it.

We enjoyed having a car in Poland (in 2003).
Old May 17th, 2005, 07:29 PM

Yes, it's good to have the sticker if you are going to be driving at ALL in Austria, on any road. Only that ONE time were we stopped, as we got close to the Italian border (from Austria).
We are in talks now with Hertz for they KNEW we were going to Austria...(met some Americans on the trip who rented with the same Co. in Munich and they were INFORMED about Austria , so were able to buy a sticker.)
Just ask you rental car Co.and they will tell you where to buy it...tobaccanist or wherever. 7.60 euro, good for about 10 days,I think.??? Our stop was from Salzburg to the Venice route....and we were NEVER stopped again leaving from Bolzano up to Innsbruck Austria..OR on through Austria up to Germany. JUst a chance thing, I guess.....Bing bang, 120 euro fine (or $157), came through quickly on the Mastercard bill!
Have a great trip.
I understand Switzerland has a similar necessary sticker!