Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

The Lakes Region in Italy/Switzerland for 25th Anniversary?

Jan 14th, 2015, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

My husband and I have a big anniversary coming up and would like to celebrate with a trip. Fortunately, the kids will be at camp from July 3-25 so we have a decent window. I'm looking for suggestions for somewhere to spend a week or 10 days. We are from New Orleans so we will be hoping to avoid the heat and we love the mountains so the lakes region in Italy and/or Switzerland seem like a good choice. We tend to prefer small villages where we can stay in one place and explore via day trips. We like to get to know the local ristorante or trattoria and to stay somewhere that we don't have to get into the car every time we want to get a bite or have a glass of wine. We like good food and wine, the outdoors, art and architecture. We like a bit off the beaten path but I realize that July in Italy will be full of other American tourists.

Any suggestions for a destination for us?
Jan 14th, 2015, 06:30 PM

It will be full of a LOT of visitors and they are not all from the United States.

I was going to recommend somewhere along mid-lake Como such as Bellagio, Varenna, Tremezzo, etc., followed by a few days in Switzerland (easily reached by rail). You could easily fly into Milan and out of Zurich or Geneva to avoid backtracking IMO, and having been there several times, ten days/nights at the lake is entirely too much but am sure you'll get many other comments and opinions.
Jan 14th, 2015, 09:52 PM
kja

I'm no expert, but I can easily imagine a lovely trip at that time of year that could include some time in the lake area of the Ticino (e.g., Locarno / Ascona or Lugano) and maybe even a longer sojourn in / around Lakes Thun or Brienz. I trust experts will weigh in....

BTW, Happy Anniversary!
Jan 15th, 2015, 05:58 AM

Here is one of my favorite small hotels halfway between Lugano and Lago Como---has outstanding food.

http://stelladitalia.com/albergo/
Jan 17th, 2015, 12:38 PM

In July, temperatures around Lake Orta, Lake Maggiore, Lake Lugano and Lake Come will usually not exceed 90 degrees Fahrenheit/32 degrees centigrade.
In the mountains around the lakes, it will be cooler. You can easily drive to altitudes of 6500 ft and more in less than 2 hrs.