Italy Itinerary-- experience needed!

Jan 17th, 2006, 03:09 AM
Original Poster

Italy Itinerary-- experience needed!

Hi everyone,
We are in the early stages of planning our first trip to Italy, our itinerary keeps changing at the moment as there so much to see and do, but I think we've finally hit the jackpot with this one!
Our plan is 5 nights in Rome, 3 nights in Sorrento (we are planning to spend a day at Pompeii and a day by the amalfi coast) and then a train ride to venice to spend our final 5 nights (with day trips to florence and bologna)
How does this this sound? Realistic? Have we made the best of our time? Are there any improvements anyone could suggest?
We are also having a few problems with the finer details such as:
1) Is it possible to get a direct train from Rome to Sorrento? Or do we have to go to Naples and change for Sorrento? If so how easy is this to do?
2) Can we catch a train from Sorrento to Venice or do we have to return Naples to do this? If so would we be better staying in Naples?
Any help, advice or tips would be most gratefully received, Thanks for taking the time to read my rather confusing post!
Jan 17th, 2006, 03:37 AM
ira

Hi CAS,

When are you going?

To get to Sorrento from Rome you can:

take the train to Naples, change to the Circumvesuviana commuter train (downstairs) to Sorrento.

take the train to Salerno, get the ferry to Sorrento. More scenic, more comfortable, takes longer.

If you are going to Pompeii, a visit to the Archaeological Museum in Naples will be worthwhile.

For your short visit, you might want to consider staying in Naples. You can get to Pompeii on the Circumvesuviana train.

You can see the AC by taking the train to Sorrento, the bus as far as Salerno, and the train back to Naples.

You can fly from Naples to Venice for 92E on www.alpieagles.com

Train schedules are at www.trenitalia.com

For Ferry schedules Positano Amalfi - Salerno (P.zza della Concordia):
See http://www.salernocity.com/comune/tr...i/costiera.asp

Jan 17th, 2006, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your advice Ira,

We are travelling in the first 2 weeks of September, do you know what the weather is like then?
Taking the ferry sounds like a lot better idea than the train, any idea how much longer it takes?
I think staying in Naples might be a better idea but from what I've read i don't think it really appeals so we'll probably still stay in Sorrento.
We will definitely be flying into Venice now,
One final question, (sorry!) how do we get to the amalfi coast from Sorrento?
Jan 17th, 2006, 04:34 AM

Buses go down the coast from Sorrento - to Positano and onto Amalfi. You might want to think about hiring a driver for a day - its a wonderful way to enjoy the coast.
Jan 17th, 2006, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again Ira, Which airport should I fly into at Venice? Does it make a difference?
Jan 17th, 2006, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Suec1, Do you how much a driver costs and how I would go about this? Sounds like a great experience
Jan 17th, 2006, 06:08 AM
ira

Hi Cas,

Sept is one of the nicer months for the AC.

You want Venice Marco Polo (VCE) unless you get a really good price into Treviso.

The SITA bus from the train station will take you along the AC as far as Amalfi.

You might want to take the ferry Sorrento/Amalfi and the bus back, with a stop in Positano.

>Taking the ferry sounds like a lot better idea than the train, any idea how much longer it takes?

From Naples or from Salerno?

>I think staying in Naples might be a better idea but from what I've read i don't think it really appeals ...

What have you read?

For your itinerary, Pompei (and the Archaeological Museum) and a day on the AC, with a third day open, I think that Naples would be much better for you.

You can visit Mt Vesuvius, Herculanuem, Paestum, and the many sites of Naples more easily than from Sorrento.

Jan 17th, 2006, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to your great advice Ira I now have our itenary worked out:

5 nights in Rome
3 nights in Naples (popmpeii, AC)
5 nights in venice (florence,bologna)

I even know how we are going travel between them all - Thank you for all your time!

Now I just have to reasearch where to stay and book everything, Thanks again Ira
Jan 17th, 2006, 07:52 AM
ira

Hi CAS,

Happy to have helped.

What's your hotel budget?

See my trip report for details on Naples and the AC.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34451044