Amalfi Coast Help

Search

Amalfi Coast Help

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amalfi Coast Help

Hi all, need some help planning a trip to the Amalfi Coast. We have 6 days - 2 in Rome first. Days 3-6 are up for grabs - we'd like to hit Pompeii, Sorrento, Positano, Amalfi and Paestum. What's the best base of operations? Any suggested itineraries?

Thanks!!
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 11:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd suggest Sorrento as your base, you can get there by train from Rome via Naples. From Sorrento you can catch the local bus to Positano and on to Amalfi - and Ravello as well if you like. From Sorrento you can catch the train to Pompeii Scavi station - this is where the ruins are (you actually pass this station on your way from Naples to Sorrento). There is another Pompeii station that is the town.
Not sure about Paestum, we wanted to go there but it seemed a long way to travel. I think catch the train to Salerno then a bus, but if you key Paestum into this forum as a search word you should find some info. Same goes for Amalfi, this subject gets LOTS of cover.
Kay
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 03:03 AM
ira

Hi iffy,

See the Naples/Amalfi Coast portion of my trip report for how we did it.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34451044

Since this is an Amalfi Coast trip, why do Rome at all? You can fly in/out of Naples. There is bus service from the Naples airport to Sorrento.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback! My husband (history buff) is intent on Paestum, I keep telling him it's too far but we'll probably still try to work it in. Ira, I will read your trip report, thank you. Any thoughts on Sorrento vs. Positano as a base?
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 05:19 AM

Paestum isn't too far.

- If you're staying in Sorrento, it's quickest by train:
Take the Circumvesuviana to Pompei Scavi (35mins), transfer to Pompei FS station and take a local train to Paestum (55 mins).
For timetables go to
www.trenitalia.it

The temples are a 10-15 mins walk from Paestum station.

- If you're staying in Positano, I'd take the ferry to Salerno (70 mins) then train to Paestum (35 mins).

Positano v. Sorrento as a base? They are so different and I love both - but for me Positano wins every time

Steve