Italy in October

Search

Italy in October

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2004, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy in October

Hi All - I am debating on whether to go to Italy in Sept or Oct. October seems to be a bit less touristy, but is the weather still nice enough to stroll the streets comfortably and eat in outdoor cafe's? Also, any recommendations on neighborhoods in which to stay in Rome, Florence & Venice? Thanks so much for any advice! - Laura
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 12:52 PM

We were in Florence, Siena, Positano and Rome last October. The weather was fine-60s-70s everywhere, however, it can be rainy. We only had two days of rain, unfortunately both while we were in Positano. I don't think I'd visit the Amalfi Coast again in October but I wouldn't hesitate to visit anywhere else.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 01:00 PM

October can be nice, and you can almost certainly stroll the streets comfortably -- as long as it isn't raining. But unless it's an unusually warm October, you probably would not be able to eat dinner outside, but maybe lunch, if it's sunny.

Everyone has his or her own ideas of the best areas to stay, but here are mine: in Venice, Dorsoduro or the part of San Polo adjoining it; in Rome, the "historical center," i.e., the Piazza Navona/Pantheon/Campo de Fiori area; in Florence, as close to the center (Duomo, Piazza della Signoria, etc.) as possible.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 02:06 PM

I've been in Rome, Florence, Venice during the first week in Oct a couple of times. In R and F, daytime temps reached high 70sF to about 80, and outdoor cafes were busy both daytime and for dinner. Venice was slightly cooler, but some people still sat outside in the evening, temps probably in the 60s. The only chilly time was early morning in Venice, a time of day I love.
But do count on some rain or drizzle regardless.

Most popular areas in Rome are in the historic center, around and between Piazza Navona, Campo Dei Fiori, Pantheon, and Spanish Steps.

In Venice, Piazza San Marco to Rialto Bridge is the hub, but some people prefer to be a bit away from that area as well,and Venice is pretty small anyway.

Florence is pretty small too, especially the tourist area, so anywhere from the train station all the way to the Oltrarno is pretty much within a half hour walk.

Take a look at some maps.

Specific hotel recommendations will depend on what you want to spend.

good luck
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 07:42 AM
ira

Hi IM,

Mid Sept-mid Oct is a great time to visit.
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 08:27 AM

I was told all of Sept and Oct are great months in southern Italy - sure hope so because we will be there last week of Sept.