Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best Neighborhoods in Which to Wander in Venice, Florence & Rome

Old Aug 29th, 2004, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone - I am leaving for Italy next week and am just finishing up my itinerary. I am really trying hard to not book myself completely in museums in each of these places, so that I can leave myself some time to wander and get to know these cities for the short amount of time I am there. Which neighborhoods are the best to explore in Rome, Venice & Florence? I am staying in Dorsoduro in Venice, but I have heard that San Polo and Carnareggio are also good for wandering. In Florence, I think the answer is Oltrarno and I am reserving 1 day to wander around that area. How about Rome?? I have 2 days set aside with not much to do at this point, so I was thinking of wandering around Trastavere, Campo di Fiori and Piazza Navona during those days. Any other recommendations? For me, my favorite parts of these trips is usually exploring these types of neighborhoods, so I want to make sure I choose the right ones. Thanks!!
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 05:46 AM

Get a good map of Rome and check this area out near Piazza Navona:

Parione Quarter: Has renaissance atmosphere with pretty building facades and unexpected courtyards.

Area is bounded by Piazza del Fico, Via do Parione, via del Governo Vecchio, via di monte Giordano and via dei coronary (famous for antique shops). Area comes alive in late afternoon with a large selection of eating and drinking places.
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 05:49 AM
ira

Hi ima,

Sounds good to me.

In only 1-2 days of wandering there will be many things that you won't see.

I think that Venice is small enough for you to be able to wander in any direction and get to see a lot.

In Florence, I suggest that you take the no. 7 bus up to Fiesole. See the Etruscan ruins, wander the town, watch the sun set over the city.
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 05:55 AM

Hi! I live and work in florence and will be more than happy to give any advice that I can. Good idea for oltrarno in florence. get lost between borgo san jacopo and santo spirito for wonderful antiques and restoration workshops. extremely charming.

venice is easy to manuver. for a very "local" apperativo, go to "Osteria al Diavolo e l'aquasanta" (the devil and holywater). it was shown to me by several venetian children playing in the street! it's great for an early grazing dinner . . . . just ask for a mix of different appertizers.

if you need anything, don't hesitate to ontact me! [email protected]
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 06:11 AM

oops! forgot to leave the address for osteria al diavolo e l'aquasanta. It's San Polo, 561/B. phone 041.277.0307. definitely worth finding!!
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 08:57 AM

Hi, We'll be in Venice next month, this will be our 5th visit. Do you have a street name for the Osteria al diavole? Thanks so much.
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 07:09 PM

In Rome, you might want to wander through the Ghetto. If you head toward the Tevere, you can wander into Trastevere, or you can meander through Campo di Fiori and then into the Ghetto, or vice versa.