Is September and October a good time to visit Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone tell me how is the weather in Venice and Rome at the end of September begining of October. Is there a better time of the year to go?
I've heard about aqua alta and I want to make sure is not when I'm going

Thank you
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 06:00 PM

Hello tribi, I have often been in Venice and also the Region of Veneto (where Venice is located) and I certainly would choose September and/or October than July or August.

You make get some storms including electrical storms (Mother Nature's showtime) so do bring a lightweight raincoat that will fit over a jacket or sweater. You can carry that on the plane with you.

Aqua Alta..the couple of times I had to deal with that was believe it or not in both May or June versus October.

Rome should be lovely..keeping in mind that the weather patterns in Italy is like so much of the world, no longer predicatable. Pack some clothes you can layer..for warm weather, coolish weather, some rain. And enjoy!
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you LoveItaly, did you write a report of your visit there, I need information of where to go and what to see you know helpful hints.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 08:42 PM

Hi Tribi,

We've also been in Rome and Venice at different times of year. Weather in Rome was wonderful in late September and through October, better than in Spring.

In Venice, one April we had great weather, a little flooding. The next Spring, lots of rain, a little flooding. Mid-September was beautiful with only a little flooding.

Last year, in early October, it was pretty and sunny, but there was at least a foot and a half of water in Piazza San Marco. Chairs that were not tied down were floating all about. You could not get from San Marco to Rialto. Boots all seemed to be leaking. I felt sad for people who had only a few hours there, but most were taking it in stride.

Another post on this board said that flooding was tied to the tides. This is from a friend who seems to be informed; high tide is expected September 26th and again the last week in October this year.

When you get there, just ask what is expected and adjust plans. Chances are good that flooding won't last all day and there is lots to see and places to walk that won't be flooded.

For a gondola ride, ask when the water is low enough so you can go under low bridges on back canals. Otherwise, you might be able to go only on the Grand Canal.

One other tip.
When it was so badly flooded last year, hundreds and hundreds of people were stuck standing on the raised walkways trying to get on vaporettos at San Marco. If you should get caught in this kind of crowd, don't try to get on going in the direction of Rialto and the train station. Instead, bypass the lines (people may think you are cutting in, but you know you are not) and get on a vaporetto that is continuing on past San Marco in the opposite direction from the station. It will be nearly empty. If it is the number you need, just stay on for the return trip or get off at the next stop and take one going in the right direction. You can also take the one that goes to Zattere. It is only about a five or ten minute walk back across to Academia bridge and you can make connections there.

Venice is amazing, no matter what. Have a great time.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 08:55 PM

"For a gondola ride, ask when the water is low enough so you can go under low bridges on back canals. Otherwise, you might be able to go only on the Grand Canal."

What a great tip - thanks for that

Old Jul 10th, 2007, 10:37 PM

tribi-

I have been in Venice the last two Octobers around mid month. And both times the weather was perfect. Sunny and warm. No aqua alta at all.

I was in Rome in late October in 2005 and other than the rain my first day, it too was sunny and warm during my stay.

I will top my two trip reports for some ideas as what to do.

Tom
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 05:15 AM

I've been in Sept, Oct and January. The only time I would never go back is January. Aqua Alta on 2 of the 4 days we were there and it was cold and rainy.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 07:08 AM

I havge visited Venice about 10 times in last 5 years. Probably 6 of them were beween November and March when aqua alta is supposed to occur more often than other times. I had shallow one to bad one, perhaps 3 times out of 10 visits. If it does occur, it's likely to start in the morning and end by around noon. Not a big deal except the last one I had in December (1st week) 2005. These photos make me to want to go back there again.

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...Dec05-2041.jpg
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much everyone for your reply,
kappa Venice looks beautiful even with aqua alta
but I sure hope it doesn't happen while I'm there.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 09:36 PM

We have been to Venice 3 times in Sept. and have had good weather. Only few raindrops here and there.

Kappa,
We loved your photos.
To be in Venice...AHHHHHH
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 10:25 PM
lyb

Tribi,

I was in Venice last year, the first 9 days of October. It was beautiful summerlike weather. There was a bit of acqua alta a couple of days but mainly in the evening and it didn't stop people from moving around.

If you want to see pictures, you can see some on my website: http://lynnsview.com/Gallery/

Sassafras,
What dates were you in Venice last October? I was surprised to read your post about people not being able to move around from San Marco to Rialto. I only saw a very low Acqua Alta in the evening, a couple of times and another day on La Giudecca, some of the areas had maybe a couple of inches of water at the most. Just curious if it got so much worse after I left.

Old Jul 11th, 2007, 10:53 PM

lyb,
bless you, you have made a old woman happy with your photos.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

lyb your pictures are beautiful. Thank you I can not wait to get there I only have to wait a year.....
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 09:05 AM
lyb

dandj,

Anytime! I know that looking at others' photos often helps me get through a mundane day. A quick little trip to Paris, Venice, London or anywhere is always a great break.

Tribi,

A year! oh, wow, that is so long, but before you know it, you'll probably be knee deep in organizing your trip.

Enjoy Venice, it's my favorite city! I feel very at peace there.