Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italy in early-mid March. Where would you go...weatherwise?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are considering using low Frequent Flyer miles (40K) to do Italy in March. We'd love to go back to Venice, but what kind of weather can we expect?

Any other places (we don't want to do Florence, Tuscany this time around) which would have moderate weather?
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 01:04 AM

The temperatures are in fact quite moderate, and really those are great places to visit. You can expect grey skies and rain but these do really provide an excellent, not too washed out photographic backdrop, and you get to enjoy these places more or less as your own since there are many fewer tourists.

I'm not as familiar with Venice but do know the weather is a bit colder, rainier, and higher tides at times. Tuscany is rainy, but there is some sun, and it's gorgeously verdant. Personally I love it at this time of year.

It depends on how much you can deal with rain and where you're from temperature wise. At night expect upper 30's to 45 degrees and the days can be from there straight on up to the 70's totally depending......But I as a Chicagoan, always find this a vast improvement. Hope that helps!
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 02:06 AM

March can be iffy, but there are always the first signs of spring as well. Even with a little rain, Venice is wonderful.

If you want a warmer climate I suggest Apulia (Puglia) which is beautiful and so interesting or Sicily. My two favorite regions to visit in Italy!
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 02:17 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi a/s,

we went to Venice in March [the end of the month] a couple of years ago, and the weather was decidedly mixed. one day we lunched outside on burano in hot sunshine, the next day we were huddling round the open fire of the restaurant on Torcello trying to get warm after getting caught in a rainstorm.

you would be likely to find better weather in the south, or Sicily. A good opportunity to explore Puglia, possibly?
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 04:31 AM

We have generally traveled in early to mid March and always spend some time in Venice. Temps are very manageagle. We layer, usually a fleece, maybe a sweater and always a rainproof shell ours have hoods.

We have normally had good luck mornings you might need the fleece but quite warm by lunch time.

You will encoounter rain, but most trips it came overnight and we just woke up to wet walkways and roofs. One trip we had an all day Dreary March rain. We went to Murano and sat in front of glass blast furnaces to dry out and had a great lunch indoors instead of outside.

Where ever you go in the north you'll see signs of spring, but spring won't be in full swing in most northern spots. Most of the trees will be starting to get leaves but they won't look really green yet.

We have always enjoyed March travel, fewer crowds.
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 04:55 AM

I spent three day in Venice in early March in 2006. The weather was as annhig described--one day beautiful and sunny, the next cold a rainy with a very brief touch of snow. For us, the colder weather meant that many more espressos and hot chocolates--we loved being in Venice no matter the weather. (It was colder INSIDE the Doge's Palace than outside.)

However, it was delightfully empty of other tourists, since carnevale had been just the week before. We walked right in to any place of interest we visited. The locals seemed to be relaxing after the deluge. A number of restaurants and businesses seemed to be taking their vacations during this period--after carnevale, before more tourists arrive in April.
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 06:22 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I've been to Amalfi late March and the weather was good. Lemons were already on the trees.
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 06:24 AM

I've been to Venice twice in March for 10+ days each time. I did experience some cold, rainy days, but most days were in the 50-60 degrees range with partly sunny skies. It is my favorite time to visit for the reasons that ellenem points out in her second paragraph.
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 06:36 AM

my March experience in Venice is similar the otheres. Damp (light drizzle and/or cloudy) and temps probablty in the 50s. Layers and umbrellas were needed. ALthough moving south, it was sunny and 70s in Florence and 80s in Rome.
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your insight and detailed info.
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 07:50 AM

Having been to Venice at the end of March I can tell you that sometimes in the beginning of March it floods. The walkways were still up (they put up elevated walkways so you can get from place to place). That's just part of Venice. Personally the damp dreary weather adds to the ambiance of Venice. Especially the fog and dampness at daybreak....you shouldn't miss a walk at daybreak.
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 10:16 AM

Sicily !