Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Booked without realizing Rainy Season in Venice, ooops! Any tips?!

Jan 24th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

What a bargain we found! After doing a little more reserach, we realized why. We will be traveling to Venice, Italy in the heart of the rainy season. I'll be about 4 months pregnant, and I'm starting to second guess If its such a good idea. Any how, can anyone offer some savy advice? Will be staying at Hotel Danieli for a week. March 15-22 Thanks in advance for the help!!!!
Jan 24th, 2011, 09:07 AM

I don't think there is really a rainy season - in Eruoep (except southern Spain in summer) it can rain at any time. March is less since most tourists travel in summer - not due to rain.
Jan 24th, 2011, 09:11 AM

Here are the facts---March is not bad for rain:
http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/w...s=50161&refer=
Jan 24th, 2011, 09:15 AM

Don't really understand the issue-Venice is not a particularly "outdoor" space except for the cafes. You walk about on hard surfaces or travel by vaporetto-little chance of mud and umbrellas will suffice. I'm certain there would be breaks in the weather and you may get very nice fresh weather. Don't let it bother you--enjoy!
Jan 24th, 2011, 09:21 AM

I like the lack of crowds in March and have enjoyed several visits to Venice in March. Take your sunglasses, an umbrella and be prepared to bundle up or peel off layers, scarf, hat. Go and enjoy!
Jan 24th, 2011, 10:09 AM

That time is low priced because it is after the high season of Carnevale and well before the high season of Easter. I just booked 8 nights in Venice for the same time. I prefer that there are fewer tourists and a calmer feeling to Venice at this time. And if it rains, staying at the Danieli will be a pleasure.
Jan 24th, 2011, 10:26 AM

I've been there at just about that same time, don't worry about it, it's a perfectly good time to be in Venice. As others mention there are good reasons for going at that time of year. I had the pleasure of experiencing acqua alta one day, interesting to see. If you're concerned about having to wade through the streets try to pack a pair of rain boots if your luggage capacity allows. Otherwise, just plan to avoid flooded areas or buy expensive, disposable boots while you're there (I assume these can be found, but more frequent visitors would know better than me).
Jan 24th, 2011, 11:41 AM

Ditto to all of the above! DH and I almost always traveled in March. We were never rained on in Venice! Some beautiful misty mornings made some gorgeous pictues.

You hotel might have a supply of boots.
Jan 24th, 2011, 11:43 AM

The aqua alta in Venezia is caused by high tides, not by rain.
Jan 24th, 2011, 12:08 PM

We were there in November for two weeks and it rained everyday except for the last two days and the day we decided to go to Cortina. It was not a problem at all. It was truly a romantic time with my husband. I envy you, I wanted to stay at the Danieli but my husband is very practical, we did find a B&B right on the Grand Canal that was beautiful.

I hope you have a great time in Venice rain, or shine and high tides and all. It is a magical place and there is nothing like it.
Jan 24th, 2011, 12:13 PM

Venice is one of the few places I have been where the weather isn't really a problem, unless you get an aqua alta which is more to do with tides than weather as such. it is such a lovely place, whether bathed in sunshine, or misted romantically in rain, and there is so much to do whatever weather you encounter.

as you are staying for a week, it's likely that you'll get a bit of everything.

enjoy!
Jan 24th, 2011, 01:58 PM

Umbrella.
Jan 24th, 2011, 02:14 PM

We have usually gone March and there weather has been generally good. In all of our trips there was only one day when it rained all day and was chilly. That day we just went to Murano and dried in front of the glass furnaces

We have had several days when it was in the 60s during the day, so the advice on layers should be heeded.
Jan 24th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

I'm so thankful for all of the great suggestions! I am no longer fretting the weather!!! I will take a pair of packable boots for my husband and myself and definately pack layers!!!

I do have one question for all of you. I am a bit concerned with the water taxi fares to and from the hotels. I hear they are very pricey and was wondering if it was a good idea to book ahead with a company? Do the taxi's typically run on a fixed price system?
Jan 24th, 2011, 05:07 PM

You can get a shared water taxi for 27 euro per person. We used it last trip and it worked well. You can book in advance here:

http://www.venicelink.com/index.php?...1&lang=english

Otherwise it is about 80 to 100 euro from Marco Polo to "downtown" Venice
Jan 24th, 2011, 05:11 PM

Just to be clear--to get around Venice, you can walk, take a public water bus (vaporetto), take a private water taxi, or take a private gondola (mostly for pleasure rides).

Yes, there are set rates for water taxis, depending on the areas you are traveling to and from. How do you plan to use the water taxis? Are you sure you need to use one? The Danieli is quite close to a vaporetto stop, and one of the stops for the Alilaguna express boat to and from the airport stops there as well. Both these options would cost dramatically less than a private water taxi.

For example, to reach you hotel from the airport:
= A private water taxi would cost a set rate of about 90 euro total.
= Alilaguna would cost 13 euro each.
= A land bus plus vaporetto would cost 8.50 euro each or might be included in a multiple-day travel card you might purchase.

There are a few shared water taxi companies starting to pop up that might reduce the most expensive option somewhat. Also, there are water taxis just waiting at the airport, so if you can find some other people at the airport who are headed to the same area, you might share.

Discount are available for vaporetto travel cards as well as museums if you purchase ahead of time online at VeniceConnected.com
Jan 24th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

My sole interest in the water taxi is for traveling to and from the airport. We will have about 2 large suitecases and would prefer not to walk across town with them. But 90 EUROS is quite pricey. I will look into the Alilaguna transport alternative. Thank you!!!
Jan 24th, 2011, 05:45 PM

Alilaguna - and the San Zacharia stop is close to the Danilei.

http://www.alilaguna.it/index.en.html
Jan 24th, 2011, 05:45 PM

The blue bus from Piazzale Roma is 3E PP and drops you at the door---not at a boat dock that is 300 yards away.
Jan 24th, 2011, 06:49 PM

To clarify bobthenavigator's post, at Marco Polo Airport there are land buses and land taxis right outside the door of the terminal. You would take a land bus or land taxi to Piazzale Roma, the bus station at the island of Venice and the closest a land vehicle can get. It is on the Grand Canal and from there you could catch a vaporetto to San Zaccaria.

The two bus options are:
= the blue bus (ATVO) which costs about 3 euro per person and goes directly from the airport to Piazzale Roma. It has luggage storage beneath and takes 15-20 minutes.
= the orange bus (ACTV) which costs 1.10 euro each, but is a local public transport bus--no luggage storage and makes stops along the way, taking about 30 minutes.

I'm not sure of the cost of a land taxi.

At Piazzale Roma, you would then take a vaporetto, 6.50 euro each, to San Zaccaria. Technically the vaporetto is also the ACTV company as well, so if you purchase and activate a travel card, the orange bus and the vaporetto would be part of your unlimited riding covered by the pass.

So . . . walk a bit at the airport and take the Alilaguna to a boat stop very close to your hotel. OR walk out the door of the airport and get on a bus, but then have to change to a vaporetto at Piazzale Roma to reach virtually the same boat stop.

The Alilaguna ride to your stop would take about 1 hour 10 minutes, not including the walk and waiting for the next boat at the airport.

By the land route, it could take about the same amount of time once you made all the connections.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO