Italy in December

Search

Italy in December

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2007, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy in December

My husband and I have 5 or 6 days free in Italy in December. We would like to visit some place we haven't been....but not freeze. We've been to Florence, Bologna, and Sienna. How about Venice in December?
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 06:53 AM

Venice in December is cold and damp (high temps in the low 40s, lows in the low 30s) That said...I'm partial to Venice and will go anytime!! It's very festive right before christmas...Hot Chocloate and spiced wine sold on the street...twinkling white lights...a little Christmas Market it's really beautiful....but COLD.

Why don't you head South? Anywhere along the Amalfi coast will be very temperate...temps in the 50's...sometimes 60's. I love Amalfi in winter - totally different than the summer tourist crowds! Paestum is practically deserted in winter...Pompeii is VERY quiet - most homes with have no other visitors in them with you...if the weather is bad, the Museum in Naples is WONDERFUL. Inland in the south gets a bit colder (in the 40s and 50s).
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice! We're from Minnesota, so are used to the 'damp cold". Since we've never been south, we'll consider that, too. Thanks again!

PS. Since you've been to Venice, where would you suggest we stay....if we choose to go?
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 07:09 AM

I stayed in Sorrento and Naples in December and it was nice weather. Light jacket during the day. Took day trips along the Amalfi Coast and to Pompeii which was wonderful because it was empty. Some restaurants, etc. in the Amalfi Coast towns were closed but it was still very nice.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 07:16 AM

ah!!!!! well....everything is relative! nowhere in Italy will feel cold for you anytime of year ;-) Last time I was there in December, BTW, I had my 3yr old with us and we were just fine bundled up and out all day and evening...needed a coat and hat and gloves - but kind of worth it to have the peace and quiet and no crowds.

There are REALLY great hotel rates in Dec. - just check all the sites...that trip, we stayed at the Dei Dogi - we loved the hotel and they were empty and upgraded us to a huge suite...but they are a bit far out of the way I think for a a first trip to Venice (but they do have a free water taxi to St. Marks -limited scheduale...but really fun to arrive that way)

I've also stayed (in Nov.) at the Nicolo Priuli http://www.casanicolopriuli.com/ (don't know if I want to post that here....don't want them to get booked up!)- we got a good rate on the room - it was REALLY inexpensive on one of the discount travel sites (don't remember which one)...we got lucky...and very charming (I thought) for the price...good location near St. Marks but not IN the middle of things. (St. Mark's is crazy any time of year!) that time of year...I would just search around and get the cheapest 5* I couold find...or check the tripadvisor reviews of the 4*s - I'm sure youo'll find something beautiful in Venice or Amalfi that time of year (somtimes the Eden Roc in Positano has great off-seasono rates too-I like it and the view can't be beat)
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Airfares from Minnesota to Venice and Rome are cheap in December. However, airfare to Naples is almost twice as much! Once we arrive in Italy, we will be exhausted and will want to crash. Would it be a big deal to stay in Rome for two nights or so and then take a train to the Amalfi Coast? We're 60 years old, but still looking for adventure!
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 08:09 AM

I was just posted a while ago on another thread and Naples flights...they're always more expensive and sometimes take as long as going into Rome (since the only direct is on EuroFly)...

I fly into Rome and usually stay out by the airport becasue I drive down (I don't stay on the coast )...but the train is easy into Naples or Salerno...there's also a direct bus down to Sorrento.

Gives you a few days in Rome too...just noticed you haven't been before (for some reason though, I NEVER can find great hotel prices in Rome...which is why I use my starwood point and stay out at the Sheraton) Rome is expensive (food, etc.! I always get a SHOCK), but worth it to be in Rome.

All depends really what kind of trip you're looking for...Venice is Very relaxing...you wander around, get lost, etc....maybe take in a museum...but no push ;-) Rome, I find to be the opposite...I can never just wander...always feel like wow. I'm in ROME...must go SEE things ;-) I've been many times and I'm always like that! The Amalfi Coast, of course is very relaxing and slow-paced too...unless you take a daytrip into Naples!
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 08:47 AM

We went to Rome in December a few years ago and had a fabulous time. It was cool during the day, but nothing that a jacket and sweater wouldn't fix. At night we sat outside for dinner under the heatlamps and were perfectly fine. A bonus to traveling to Rome during the winter months is that lines are just about non-existent and there are hardly ever any crowds. We've been to Rome in December, February and March and had a great time during each visit.

Tracy
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 08:53 AM

Just back from Rome and it was cold! Temp about 10 degrees Celsius. If you can fly into Rome you could get a connection to Palermo, Sicily which will be pleasantly warm in December. We had a lovely time in Sicily- hired a car and toured around- Agrigento (Greek temples), Piazza Amerina, Roman remains with excellent mosaics. Syracusa- more great Roman remains and Cefalu- delightful seaside town with Norman cathedral.
Venice is cold and damp in Dec but a good excuse to stop frequently for delicious hot chocolate.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 08:54 AM

And by the way, I never have a hard time not relaxing in Rome. We make a point to see one, maybe two sights a day and then spend the rest of the time relaxing and strolling. We've found wonderful tiny piazzas and interesting ruins by simply strolling the streets. And strolling Rome's streets in the evenings is magical.

Yes, I'm a Rome lover!

Tracy
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much! I would love to fly to Rome, stay for a few days, and then take a train to Positano. Is that a pain? My husband is usually interested in "ease of travel", so I usually make things as simple as possible.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 09:22 AM

There are excellent trains from Rome to Naples, but if your husband prefers ease of travel, consider booking a limousine transfer from the Naples train station to the Amalfi Coast. Search the forum for recommendations.

And consider staying in Amalfi instead of Positano. Amalfi has some resident population; Positano has almost none outside of tourist season.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 04:53 AM

I know it is not the most direct...but I find the easist way to get to Amalfi (i.e. I have a small child and luggage, etc.!) by public transprt is to take the train to Salerno and get on the SITA bus right from the train station. Naples certainly is closer...but more of a pain to then get to the Circumvesuviana and then the SITA bus at Sorrento.