Just back from Florence and Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all your advice it made our trip so much better!

This trip was to celebrate my sisters 50th birthday and my mothers 71st. We left San Francisco on October 19th and took a direct flight to Paris to meet up with another sister, we had a two hour layover until our flight to Florence. If I had to connect in Paris again I would make sure I had at least a 1 1/2- 2 hour layover as there were a few delays in getting through customs.

We checked into the Hotel Silla. I recommend this hotel for the location on the Arno, close to the Ponte Vecchio and Uffizi, the friendly accomodating staff, the clean rooms and the wonderful breakfast including great cappuccino's. I loved everything about Florence, especially David! Here are my personal favorite things in no particular order:
1. Grom for Gelato...everyday!

2. Nerbone for lunch, great Ribolita and beef sandwiches.

3. Officina Profumo Farmaceutica di Santa Maria Novella. Just the beauty of the store and the scent when you walk in are devine.

4. Hot Chocolate at Rivoire and Gilli.

5. Fresh rasberry mojito's at the bar Slowly. (good place to stop at 7pm for lots of free appetizers that come with the drinks)

6. The 13 bus up to Piazza Michaelangelo.

7. Our day spent with Accidental Tourist making pasta.

8. Walking the streets and exploring all that is Florence!

I have one sister who cannot pack light, so we arranged for Luca from Hills and Roads to pick us up in Florence, drive us through Tuscany then on to our apartment in Rome. Luca was an amazing guide who was spontaneous and willing to be flexible depending on the weather and how the day unfolded. He took us to some out of the way places we would never have found on our own!

We rented an apartment in Rome from the Residenza Cellini. We had three bedrooms, one and a half bathrooms, a fully stocked kitchen and dining room. It was wonderful to spread out and was much cheaper than paying for two hotel rooms. The location was convenient, next to the piazza Cavour (about a ten minute walk to the Spanish steps). Since this is a residential neighborhood we found all the prices from cappuccino's to bottled water to be cheaper than on the other side of the river. Here are some of my favorite Rome highlights;
1. Scavi Tour. I found this to be my favorite Vatican experience as there were no crowds to fight. I loved the Sistine Chapel but the pushing and shoving and waiting, even with a Vatican tour was unbelievable.

2. Borghese Gallery. This was my favorite museum, not just for the Bernini sculptures but just for the atmosphere and the scale of the museum. We went on a Sunday morning and had a walk through the gardens after our tour. The weather was beautiful and all the local families were out for bike rides, soccer and fun in the park.

3. Roman foot bath at the Hotel de Russie. What a way to get pampered! It was like getting a facial for your feet followed by reflexology.

4. All of the art and architecture and energy that is impossible to fully explore in 6 days. I left feeling like I barely scratched the surface!

I met so many wonderful friendly people while in Italy. I cannot wait until I can return!

Ciao,
Tina
Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 04:02 PM

Tina,

Thanks for the trip report! It does sound like you had a wonderful time. What was the actual location of your Rome apartment? Glad you enjoyed the Borghese, it was a real highlight for me too. Sunday in the park is a real little slice of life, don't you think?

How did your mother do?
Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 11:16 PM

Tina -

It sounds like you had a wonderful trip. Don't feel too badly - there is never enough time!

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 10:56 AM

bookmarking
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 11:29 AM

Tina, thanks so much for sharing your experience. I enjoyed the brevity and scope. Made me long for more and relish our visit a couple years ago. Can't wait to go back!
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 11:53 AM

bookmark
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 11:59 AM

Tina thank you for this report. You will have to have gelato at the New York Grom if you ever come this way!

I am glad you gave a thumbs up to the Hotel Silla; I have always been meaning to stay here and somehow have never done so. Yet.

How much was the transfer from Luca?

But surely the Pza Cavour is not a 10-minute walk to the Spanish steps???
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

The apartment Cellini is closer to the river than the Piazza Cavour, so it was about a 4 minute walk to the Taxi stand at the Piazza Cavour and a ten minute walk to the Spanish Steps if we did not stop to shop!.

Luca has his fees published on his website Hills and Roads, I think he gave us a discount for booking early. There were 4 of us in our party and we paid about 120 euro's each for appx 10 hours with Luca. I felt this was a bargain considering the amount of luggage and shopping bags my sisters accumulated while in Florence! The convenience of being picked up at our hotel, the gorgeous drive and stops throughout Tuscany, then being delivered to our next hotel without dealing with Taxi's, trains and luggage transfers was worth it.

Old Nov 7th, 2007, 06:21 PM

Tina,
Enjoyed reading your trip report - it sounds like you have a wonderful time. I'll be in Florence next week with my friend. From reading others' reports, it sounds like we would enjoy shopping at Officina Profumo Farmaceutica di Santa Maria Novella. Would you have an address or some idea of where it is located? Thanks, in advance, for your help!
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 08:14 PM

Finding the Officina Profumo Farmaceutica di Santa Maria Novella was slightly difficult. Luckily, I just followed my sister who speaks Italian. Hopefully someone will have better directions (this was 5 years ago so my memory is fuzzy), but just in case: Find the Piazza di Santa Maria Novella. The big building on the square is the one you want, and you want to walk around the left side to the opposite side from the square. It was the first or second door and I felt like I was just walking into the church. It was in a room without too much fanfare--sort of like a church gift shop. Lots of soap and other nice smelling stuff. I do remember loving the stained glass--look up when you're there.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 01:08 AM

Hi Tina D thank your report I really enjoy it.

Hi ekscrunchy ,I vouch for Hotel Silla we stayed there this year and also liked it very much. The area is quite the hotel has a very nice buffet breakfast and rooms are pleasant they offer free internet too. The decoration of the rooms is of quality although there are not the dernier cri . We enjoyed very much being there as you I have meant to go long ago and finally did it this year.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 01:12 AM

What is that bar's name, ...is it Cuban?. I love mojitos
here but no raspberry.... where is it ? Sounds good and mojitos is my favorite cuban export.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 05:28 AM

Thank you for your tips! I will definitely try Grom for Gelato, and we will stop in at Slowly. I love Mojitos!

I am getting excited about our trip, and I cannot wait for February to get here!