Italy Dolomites in late April

Jul 24th, 2013, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Italy Dolomites in late April

Would appreciate comments/suggestions regarding auto travel in Italian Dolomites in late April, 2014. (Activities, road closures, Hotels, etc.) We have traveled previously, but in August. Will be driving from eastern Switzerland.

Thanks for your input, thoughts and assistance.
Jul 24th, 2013, 07:26 AM

The roads will be fine but the hiking may be less than ideal due to thawing.

We like to stay in Ortisei as a centro location. Hotels would depend on your budget.
Jul 24th, 2013, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Bob. Your previous reports have provided valuable info. We most likely will not hike.

H
Jul 24th, 2013, 07:36 AM

I like to stay in Sterzing, near to the austrian coast. The city is beautiful and you have some nice mountains like Roßkopf and Ratschings. IWe always stay in this lovely hotel run by a very nice family. http://www.hotelrose.it/4-sterne-hot...g-vipiteno.php
Jul 24th, 2013, 09:15 AM

The lower and most trafficked passes will be open, but a few of the higher ones, like Stelvio, may be still closed in April. This year it snowed a lot in May, on Stelvio pass you can find snow occasionally even in early June. This matter may be checked on the internet a few days before the trip.
Jul 24th, 2013, 01:35 PM

I highly recommend waiting until you know for sure that the weather will be sunny and dry so you can actually see the rock spires and high mountains. I spent several days in the Dolomiti and, on the day I left, it clouded over and rained, and I was amazed at how the clouds completely blocked out the views. I might as well have been in a state forest in the US. Nice trees, nice smell, but you had no idea that lurking behind those clouds were these breathtaking mountain peaks.

The only kind of place I would book there is one with a 24 hour cancellation policy so I could watch the weather before making the drive up, and cancel if there was no point in going.