Italy Dolomites in late April

Jul 24th, 2013, 07:16 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 510
Italy Dolomites in late April

Would appreciate comments/suggestions regarding auto travel in Italian Dolomites in late April, 2014. (Activities, road closures, Hotels, etc.) We have traveled previously, but in August. Will be driving from eastern Switzerland.

Thanks for your input, thoughts and assistance.
Huggy is offline  
Jul 24th, 2013, 07:26 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 16,509
The roads will be fine but the hiking may be less than ideal due to thawing.

We like to stay in Ortisei as a centro location. Hotels would depend on your budget.
bobthenavigator is offline  
Jul 24th, 2013, 07:35 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 510
Thanks Bob. Your previous reports have provided valuable info. We most likely will not hike.

Huggy is offline  
Jul 24th, 2013, 07:36 AM
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 14
I like to stay in Sterzing, near to the austrian coast. The city is beautiful and you have some nice mountains like Roßkopf and Ratschings. IWe always stay in this lovely hotel run by a very nice family.
Frankman is offline  
Jul 24th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 708
The lower and most trafficked passes will be open, but a few of the higher ones, like Stelvio, may be still closed in April. This year it snowed a lot in May, on Stelvio pass you can find snow occasionally even in early June. This matter may be checked on the internet a few days before the trip.
asps is offline  
Jul 24th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 565
I highly recommend waiting until you know for sure that the weather will be sunny and dry so you can actually see the rock spires and high mountains. I spent several days in the Dolomiti and, on the day I left, it clouded over and rained, and I was amazed at how the clouds completely blocked out the views. I might as well have been in a state forest in the US. Nice trees, nice smell, but you had no idea that lurking behind those clouds were these breathtaking mountain peaks.

The only kind of place I would book there is one with a 24 hour cancellation policy so I could watch the weather before making the drive up, and cancel if there was no point in going.
stevewith is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:49 PM.