Search

italy dilemma

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2006, 03:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
italy dilemma

we have 2nights/3 days in sorrento to celebrate our daughters graduation from high school after a trip to rome. after taking the train from rome to our hotel hoping to arrive around 12noon. we plan on doing pompeii.
our dilemma is for our 2nd day. we are not sure whether to do capri or positano. do you think we could do both?
we leave on the third day and i would rather just do sorrento on that day so we won't be stressed. thankyou in advance for your help.
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 03:34 AM
SHADRACH

Hey,

I haven't been to either Capri or Positano (I will be to Capri next September), but you can't do both in a day unless you want to be part of the amazing race(I also wanted to visit both places). You need a day for each place.

I decided to visit Capri over Positano, because there is more to see on Capri.

According to many people, Positano is gorgeous, but if you look up information on what to see in Positano, you won't find much. The main church is the only landmark, the rest is the atmosphere of the town and the beach (which is supposed to be great).

However, Capri is also considered to be a gorgeous place and there are landmarks such as Villa Jovis, Piazza Umberto I, Mount Solaro, Villa San Michele, etc.

As I said before, I've never been to any of those two places, but I had the same dilemma when I began planning my trip, and I decided to go to Capri instead of Positano.

Other people who have actually been to both places will give you their point of view and you'll be able to decide.

I just wanted to give you the reason why I chose one over the other.

Have a great trip!

Old Jun 4th, 2006, 04:37 AM

I would suggest to see Amalfi and Capri on one day. Drive from Sorrento to Amalfi - one of the world's most spectacular roads! Stroll through the charming town of Amalfi and visit the Byzantinian style cathedral. Than take the boat to Capri. The boat trip is gorgeous. Then spend the rest of the day in Capri. Half a day will be sufficient - there is not that much to see besides the scenery.
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 05:21 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Take an early ferry to Capri and spend the day. In the late afternoon, take the ferry to Positano from Capri and have dinner. After dinner, wander Positano and then catch the Sita bus back to Sorrento.

The return ferries don't run late (6-7pm)and can be crowded so you might want to book your return ticket when you purchase your ticket to Capri.
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 05:45 AM

I hate to sound so negative, but Capri is not at its best during the day. It's packed with wall to wall tourists during the summer months. And sometimes, even on a sunny day, boat service between Capri and Positano can be cancelled. (We had it happen twice due to "rough water".

For all the reasons above, I'd suggest getting up early, and taking a leisurely boat ride from Marina Grande in Sorrento to Amalfi. You could vist the cathedral and the paper- making factory, then take the bus from there to the magnificent gardens of Ravello.

After Ravello, take a bus or taxi back to Positano for dinner. The views in Positano are what makes it so memorable, and dinner around twilight should be an unforgettable experience.

I think the SITA buses that run along the coast operate pretty late into the evening, but if not, you could cab back to your hotel in Sorrento. The ride is about 30 minutes, so it could be a little pricey ( two years ago it cost us about $50), but after a long day of sightseeing, that might be the best bet.