Search

italy

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2014, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
italy

Spending one full day in sorrento before taking a tour through Italy. Can you suggest what to see(Capri) and where to eat?
Old Apr 16th, 2014, 06:30 AM

For future reference, your thread title should be more specific to your question (see others).

I went to Capri once and saw the Blue Grotto, walked to Villa Jovis, and walked around town.

http://www.capri.com/en/i/the-island-in-a-day
Old Apr 16th, 2014, 08:22 AM

With one day, you will be at the whims of the weather. Capri needs fine weather. If it is nasty, head instead to Naples by the commuter train and see the Archeological Museum, and other indoor sights.
Old Apr 16th, 2014, 08:35 AM
WWK

You could consider a half or full day boat tour of the island that includes the Blue Grotto. Just keep in mind that entry to the Grotto depends on the tides. My kids loved it, especially the few minutes that they were able to swim inside.

For a simple but amazing lunch, try LO ZODIACO, in Marina Grande, which is where the boats arrive/depart for Capri. We had a wonderful lunch there, all served on beautiful ceramic dishes, excellent food, reasonably priced.
Old Apr 16th, 2014, 08:46 AM

IMHO Pompeii is THE must see in this area - so if your tour doesn't include it I wold do it from Sorrento (there is a local train that gets there in about 30 minutes). I would allow at least 4 hours for Pompeii and do bring a hat and water - there is little shade.
Old Apr 16th, 2014, 10:03 AM

Agree with nytraveler. You should never be that close to Pompeii without seeing it.
Old Apr 16th, 2014, 10:55 AM

Agree that Pompeii is a major sight. However, if it is a choice between Capri and a trip down the AC to Positano and Amalfi, I would choose the AC over Capri in a heartbeat.
Old Apr 16th, 2014, 12:31 PM

I agree with the posters puffing Pompeii, but in our two trips there, we used private drivers both times. From Naples, we hired a taxi to take us there and wait for us before returning to Naples. From Amalfi, we had a driver take us to the site, and wait for us before taking us to the Naples train station as we were on our way to Rome and Florence. worked both times. I have read many posts recommending the local trains, but I have always opted for drivers.

The fast trains between major cities are fine, but the local ones don't light my fire. Perhaps I am insufficiently adventurous!
Old Apr 17th, 2014, 03:52 AM

No, you're right, pctraveler. We hired a driver the first time we were in Sorrento who took us to Vesuvius and Herculaneum. Took a taxi to AC and then ferried back and the train the 2 times we went to Pompeii. Not a great train, just cheaper. Loved having our own driver.
Old Apr 17th, 2014, 04:55 AM

We absolutely loved Capri and spent 3 days there. I don't recommend it as a day trip as 1)it is best if the weather is fine which can't be planned and 2)it is terribly crowded mid day with day trippers and cruise stopovers and you miss the charm of the place.

Pompeii is a must if you haven't been and if it is not already included on your tour.
Old Apr 17th, 2014, 07:20 AM

The local Circumvesuviana train line between Sorrento and Pompeii is certainly a savings over a car and driver. It is super easy to use, stops very near the entrance to Pompeii and is cheap. I have used it several times, even from Naples with luggage and it is fine. Pctrsveler, believe me, it is so simple, it is not much of an adventure.
Old Apr 17th, 2014, 07:34 AM

It is simple and cheap, but make sure you avoid rush hours-- and the hours when school has let out. I guess it's not worse than subways during those times, but as a small-city girl, I'm not used to feeling like a sardine!
Old Apr 17th, 2014, 09:27 AM

Ha, Ha, Lady1, guess you are right. Though we've not been on the Circumvesuviana when it was too crowded to get a seat, DH was born a NYorker and we've used subways just about everywhere. I was a small town girl and it did take me awhile to get used to them. I think the worst for me was one time in Paris during rush hour. I do not like actually being pressed up against strangers. Yuk.