Italian Honeymoon Itinerary Help

Old Sep 10th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italian Honeymoon Itinerary Help

I am a longtime lurker, firsttime poster. Thanks in advance for taking the time to help me out. I have travelled but never been to Italy. We have a 16 day honeymoon planned for October which I hope will be relaxing and yet take full advantage of what may be a once-in-a-lifetime trip to such a rich destination. We travel largely on a budget but would like to splurge where appropriate.

Can you look at my planned itinerary and let me know if you have any suggestions:

Arrive MIL ->
2 nights Lake Como (Bellagio)
3 days/2 nights Venice
[Overnight train grom Venice to Naples]
Naples is just a stopover to rent car and tour Amalfi Coast for 5 nights
Rome, 5 nights

I am a little overwhelmed with wedding planning and could use your help. Aside from your general suggestions, my specific questions include:
1. 5 days in Rome, too much? not honeymooney enough?
2. What neighborhood in Rome makes a good homebase? Looking for value and walkability to sites (sights?)
3. Crazy to drive Amalfi Coast? (Drove Hana HWY without much palpitations)
4. Perhaps most importantly, how much should I take care of before we leave?
- Hotels (will book all in advance except AC. Want freedom to hop)
- Trains (only booking overnight coachette ni advance)
- Attraction Tickets (Borghese? Domo? Please help with this one)
- Crap to bring (AAA driving documentation? EU/US power converter?)

I know this post may seem like a bit much. But any small wisdom you can impart will be one more butterfly released from my lasanga-pot

Old Sep 10th, 2006, 01:44 PM

I can only respond to the Rome portion of your question as that is the extent of my Italian travels... I stayed at a hotel above the Spanish Steps, and found it to be wonderfully centrally located. There are several to choose from. Congratulations on your wedding and have a wonderful honeymoon.
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 02:38 PM
ira

Hi N,

>Hotels (will book all in advance except AC. Want freedom to hop)<

The whole coast from Sorrento to Salerno is only 60 km, why do you want to hop?

Also, Oct is the shoulder season. Buses will not be particularly crowded.

I suggest making reservations and not bothering with a car.

What's your hotel budget for the AC?

Old Sep 10th, 2006, 05:10 PM
jgg

To me 5 days in Rome would not be too much. It is a wonderful city to spend part of your honeymoon. The best neighborhoods for a homebase in Rome are near the Pantheon or Piazza Navona. There are many hotels there in all kinds of budgets.

You must have a reservation for the Borghese Gallery, or you are likely not to get in. If you want to do any guided tours to the Vatican or Colesseum/Forum you might want to book those in advance. I do not believe you can make advance reservations for the Vatican. The Secret Itinieraries Tour at the Doge's Palace in Venice is very good, and you would want a reservation for that as well.

Train reservations can be done easily when you get to Italy. Either go to the train station or a travel agent.

If you plan on doing any driving you must have an International Driver's Permit. Only costs about $10 at AAA. The rental car agency won't ask for it, but if you get stopped the police will. No reason to risk it for the small amount of money. Of course you will want power converters for any electronics you may bring.
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 06:07 PM

If your wedding is immediately before the honeymoon trip then you might want more days to decompress up front. Instead of two days and repack, then two days and repack.
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 09:01 PM

newlyweds33,
1. I agree with everyone. Five days in Rome is not too much. Honeymooney enough? That is up to you.
2. I agree with jgg. Pantheon, Piazza Navona area is good.
3. I agree with Ira. It is not just the driving but also the parking problem. With trains, buses and ferries it is easy to get around. Save the cost of the car and enjoy the area.
4. You might want to book your first night in AC.
Trains can be booked at travel agencies or at the station.
Attractions, some must be booked ahead
Borghese Gallery http://www.galleriaborghese.it/borghese/en/einfo.htm
Vatican necropolis http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/in...040112_en.html
Doge's Palace Secret Itineraries http://www.museiciviciveneziani.it/f...ione=biglietti

Make sure you have your state license in addition to the IDP. Along with your converter (be careful on the wattage range) you need an adapter plug, if your appliances are dual voltage you may not need the converter.

Hope this helps.

Henry
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 07:23 AM

Gosh, do you mean this Oct.?
You are mixing the north and south in the same trip--always tough.
I would drop the AC if you have your tickets bought and include Tuscany. Good luck !
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Hi and thank you for your helpful comments.

Amalfi Hotel:
Our hotel budget in AC is hopefully 200 Euros max. It would be great to spend less and have more money for food and adventures. Any recommendations? From what I have learned, the best call is Sorrento or Positano?

Old Sep 11th, 2006, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

We have most of a week to rest after the wedding before heading to honeymoon. I agree it will be rough leaving Como after two days but to be honest we just wanted a taste and may return someday, but hard to sacrifice any more time from the great destinations ahead.

The north to South jump will be tricky, but it is achieved with one overnight train and we are young.

Old Sep 11th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Renting a car:
Good advice here. I still don't know if we can let go. I am really looking forward to the freedom and adventure. Plus we have family outside of Naples we were hoping to find. I will take your comments, both in terms of finance and convenience, in mind though. Thank you.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 07:35 AM
ira

Hi N,

If you don't mind paying less than $200, we very much enjoyed our stay at the Le Sirene In Praiano.

www.lesirene.com

Ask for Room 12, if available.

Old Sep 11th, 2006, 07:55 AM

Re: the Amalfi Coast, stay in Positano if you want to relax and enjoy the views. Stay in Sorrento if you want to see Pompeii, Herculaneum, Capri, as well as the Amalfi Coast. Things might be a bit quiet there in October, fewer boats and not so hot weather. Also, except for visiting your relatives, a car is more of a hindrance on the AC. The road is not like the Hana highway. It's even curvier and tucked into the side of a steep coastline. (Some curves are too tight for buses; they must back up and edge around with the rear end -- and the nervous passengers -- hanging out over the cliff.) Worse, the Amalfi Coast has Italian drivers, who don't hesitate to pass on blind curves! Still there will be fewer cars in October. However, other parts of Italy are better for car touring.

5 days in Rome are NOT too much and Rome is definitely a romantic destination. Not so much as Venice, but still.... Stay around the Campo dei Fiori/Piazza Navona/Pantheon area for walkability. There are some reasonable hotels.

If you are going to drive, an International Driver's Permit is required in Italy. That's what you get at AAA. You might not need a power converter. Check the small print on your powered equipment. It might say 100V-250V or something similar; in which case, you just need a plug adapter
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 11:42 AM

Consider Villa Rosa in Positano.

http://www.villarosapositano.it/entrance.htm

I don't have personal experience yet, but it is where we are staying for our honeymoon in early October. Also, it is low season on the Amalfi Coast in October, so that should help with pricing. I think a regular room at Villa Rosa is around 140 euros.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 01:44 PM

We spent time in all of these places on our honeymoon in June, and I would also recommend trying to squeeze some time in Florence into your trip. I loved florence, so much more than Rome. It was so much more romantic in my opinion. I would cut a few days from Rome and try and spend some time there.

My fav. stops was the Amalfi coast. We stopped in Sorrento, Ravello, amalfi, and positano. I would go back today if I could! It was so relaxing too!

Have a great time on your honeymoon and have a wonderful wedding!