Search

Honeymoon In Italy

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon In Italy

Hi All,

I have been looking through all the posts and everyone here seems to be so helpful. I was hoping I could beg a little of that help.

My fiance and I are to be married in Italy on September the 6th this year. We have our flights booked, and are arriving in Rome on 29th Aug and will expolore Rome until the 2nd September when we will pick up a rental car and drive to San Gimignano. We are booked into the Palazzo al Torrione until the 9th Sept. As noted, we will be married in Certaldo on the 6th and the days either side of this are probably going to be rather full.

While based in San Gimignano, we are looking at day trips to Lucca/Pisa, Siena (possibly with a side to San Antimo Abbey) and Montalcino. We were considering Florence however we don't want to rush as it is our honeymoon and we feel that this would need more time dedicated to it although we may do a day trip.

After this, my fiance is interested in Verona and Bologna, we were going to do two days in each before heading to the Cinque Terre for 4 days to relax and soak up some sun. We were considering the Amalfi Coast but decided it was too far out of the way and we would need to backtrack quite a bit as we are flying in and out of Rome.

I was just hoping for some opinions on this itinerary and whether it is feasible. Some background information; this is our first trip abroad, as mentioned we will have a car after Rome and we are more interested in experiencing the culture/lifestyle of Italy as well as history, good food is always a plus as is spectacular scenery. We will have plenty of oppurtunities to return as we will now be basing ourselves in the UK so we're not looking to rush it but rather experience what we can to it's full extent.

Sorry this has been so long, but I wanted to make sure you had as much info as possible, let me know if you need more. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old Jul 26th, 2006, 03:31 AM
rex

ttt...
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Just thought I'd top this up, any advice/opinion would be much appreciated
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 11:07 AM

I would skip Florence and just enjoy your day trips in the country side. Since you are basing yourself in places for several days, I would keep your itenirary flexible so you can do what you want that day. Outside of Rome you don't need to get advance reservations, unless you want to book a wine tour or something like that. My husband and I finished our Italian honeymoon up by staying on the coast for 3 days (we did Amalfi, but I think CT is a better choice for you), it was a great way to end the trip.

We stayed in Montalcino and ate at two great restaurants: IL Grappolo Blu (have the ravioli) and Re di Macchia (wild boar ragu). YUM
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 02:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Congratualtions Nicola - your trip sounds just fine, and certainly doesn't fall into the trap of trying to do too much. WHilst in Rome, why not make the most of your time by prebooking an official trip of the vatican museums and/or the gardens? also remember that if you want to go to the galleria borghese, you need to pre-book.
I though that a trip around the churches with the best mosaics was pretty romantic, especially when we came across a choir singing a service in one of them.
Also a wedding in the church at the top of the capitoline hill [and the bride talknig on her mobile as she climbed up those endless steps in her long white ! dress. [perhaps she was phoning the idiot who suggested the venue, but forgot to mention the steps!]
We also liked the little streets in the Monti area [between the colosseum and teh via nazionale] with its artisan workshops, individual restaurants, and little piazza with its fountain and cafes.
Have a wonderful time!
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies ninkette and annhig. Both your tips sound great especially the tips for Rome, with such a big city and so much to see, it's a little daunting.

Just a few more questions, for those who've been to Verona and Bologna, how much time do you think we'll need here and what are the main sites? We've been thinking just overnight in Bologna and maybe 2 days in Verona and then 4 full days in the Cinque Terre to relax.
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 03:57 PM

Hi Nicola- we were in Bologna last June. It is an interesting place due to it's university prescense. The catherdral is great. We arrived in Bologna around 2pm, explored some, had a great dinner, slept, woke up in the am to explore a bit more and left at around noon. I thought it was a good amount of time there and I did not feel rushed. Have fun!
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 04:06 PM

Hi Nicola,

We honeymooned in Italy in 2004 and returned for an anniversary trip in 2005. In Rome, be sure to take a walk at night... the Forum, Colosseum, etc. are beautifully lit up. It's incredibly romantic.
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 04:49 PM

Hi Nicola,

Just one suggestion for you. If you are picking up your car south of Siena, then driving to San Gimignano, see Sant' Antimo on the way. It is south significantly from Siena and San Gimignano.

Buon viaggio!
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 06:57 PM

topping
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 04:48 AM
ira

Hi N,

You are honeymooning in Italy and not going to Venice?

Old Jul 27th, 2006, 11:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for you tip Dayle re seeing Sant'Antimo on the way, we'll certainly do it that it way then.

Ira, there's just so much too see and I don't what to rush Venice. We'll be doing another trip not too long after specifically for Venice, so we can explore it better.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 01:11 AM

THe last part, from SG to Verona/Bologna/CT is quite a big loop for such short stays --alot of driving. I would say to save Verona for your later Venice trip. Rather, you might want to base a bit longer in Bologna, and from there see Ferrara, Parma. Ferrara is just a great, very nice sized medievel town, and in the Parma area you can tour Reggiano producers ... Parma is an extraordinarily nice smaller city as well. Come over to the Cinque Terra via the Autostrada from Parma to La Spezia.

Instead of staying directly in the Cinque Terre, I suggest staying to the south side of the CT in either Portovénere or Lerici. Both are more accessable than the CT, have a less massive amount of tourists, and are very beautiful, especially Portovènere. YOu can take the boat from there directly into Vernazza to tour the CT at your leisure, but will be staying in an area with more to offer. Take a look at a map and see what I mean...it is on the tip of the cape of the Gulf of Poets.

Anyway, those would be my suggestions.
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 03:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks bellacqui, I was actually looking at a full map of italy a couple of days ago and was thinking the same thing myself. Thanks for your recommendations, we've decided thats the way to go.

Getting very excited now, time's running out. So many things to organise especially with the relocation! Anyway, I know I'm only new here but I'll be sure to post a trip report when we've settled in, in appreciation of all the invaluable tips I've picked up from these forums. Thanks guys
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 07:54 AM

NicolaItaly, if you get a copy of this posting, could you possibly send me your e-mail address? I am looking to get married in Italy as well, and was interested particularly in Certaldo, so was curious where you did it in Certaldo and what your experience was like. Hope you had a wonderful trip!
-Janet