Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Florence best location: Bernini Palace or Sta Maria Novella Hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2006, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, I can't decide on which hotel to stay in Florence next December. Can anyone tell me which of these hotels has the best location to go to all sights?

Also if someone has stayed at the Bernini Palace or at the Santa Maria Novella Hotel, could you please give me some feedback (both look great)?

Thank you so much in advance

Teresa
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 04:32 AM

In December, you want to be a close to the real center of Firenze as possible, because it can be rainy and cold, which makes for unpleasant walking. The S.Maria Novella Hotel doesn't sound like it is close to the center. I don't know where the Bernini is, but if it isn't near the center either, try to find other accommodations, which should be relatively easy in December other than the last week.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 05:02 AM

A tip. You will probably want to visit the Uffizi gallery in Florence, with lots of old art there. It normally has queues HOURS long. Buy your ticket online before going.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 05:52 AM

I don't know the Santa Maria Novella hotel itself, but if it's near the church and pharmacy, then it's near the train station. This is perhaps 15 minutes by foot to the cathedral---and a bit further by foot to the Uffizi, so it's not a particularly inconvenient location. The Medici chapel/tombs is between the station and the cathedral.Central Florence isn't very large and eminently walkable, but the train station is on the northern edge of the central part of the city, and a lot of sights are closer to the river. I'd consider the cathedral the "center" of Florence.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 05:57 AM

The Bernini Palace is about as central as you can get. You'll probably want to take a taxi there if you're arriving by train. It is an absolutely lovely hotel.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 05:59 AM

"15 minutes by foot" is pretty inconvenient in December when it is raining, cold and dark at 4pm. And it's more like 25 minutes to the Uffizi. Not to mention that the area around Santa Maria Novella is one of the less attractive in Firenze.

If budget is an issue, I would sooner look across the Arno. A walk across the Ponte Vecchio lands you at the doorstep of the Uffizi and in the middle of Firenze's most important Piazza. And from there it is an enchanting 5 minute walk to the Duomo.

Old Oct 24th, 2006, 07:19 AM

For location, definitely the Bernini Palace. The two hotels are not super-far from each other, but as nessundorma points out, 10 or 15 minutes of walking in drenching rain could make all the difference.

Buon Viaggio,
BC
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much to all for your helpful replies. I know the Bernini Palace is near the Uffizi galery and that the Santa Maria Novella is close to the train station with the same name, which from the map seems more far from the center yes.

I think I will go for the Bernini Palace then, you're right, with cold and rain 15 minutes walking is too much. Thank you also for the tip to buy the tickets to the Uffizi online. I will do that.

Again thanks : -)
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 08:35 AM

We just returned from Florence and the area around Sta. Maria Novella is quite busy and chaotic. We found it to be not charming at all. I suggest you try to stay away from this train station area.