Search

Istria

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Istria

4 people want to spend a few nights in Istria in September.2007.Any recommendations about places to stay or things to do. Thanks
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 06:02 PM

We stayed in Rovinj and Opatija when we visited Istria in 2005. Rovinj is particularly charming and you can easily take day trips by bus, if you want. We highly recommend the Pension Baron Gautsch in Rovinj. This pension is a nice, small hotel with friendly staff, comfortable rooms, and delicious breakfasts. Have a great time!
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 07:32 PM

Reen-Is it easy to make day trips from Opatija (our base for 4 nights in late May before heading off to Ljubljana) using public transportation and/or organized tour, say to Pula and Trieste? Any restaurant recommendations?
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 06:25 AM

Rent a car and explore the inland areas of Istria. It's beautiful, and different from the coastal towns.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 06:52 PM

Hi Debs,

We spent only two nights in Opatija so we did no daytripping. I do know that our bus from Rovinj to Rijeka took 2 1/2 hours. For public transportation, you will need to take the bus (#32) from Opatija to Rijeka which is a transportation hub. I think Issy's recommendation to rent a car is a good one.

You will enjoy Opatija. It has a kind of old time elegance. But, there is not enough to do there for 4 days.
Be sure to walk along the Lungamare - beautiful scenery and you can walk to the little fishing village of Volsoko.

I can recommend The Madonnina restaurant, a pretty little place with stone walls, cheerful red & white checked tablecloths and some of the best food we had in Istria. Have a good trip!
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 01:03 PM

Reen-Thanks for the restaurant recommendation-sounds perfect! We will only have 3 full days in Opatija, and plan day trips for 2 of those days. We get in late our arrival night so I'm planning on walking a bit on the Lungamare, then 2 day trip days, leaving 1 full day to explore Opatija and immediate vincinity. The next day we leave for Ljubljana.

Actually, we prefer not to rent cars when overseas-we actually prefer public transportation! That's just how we like to travel. Not for everyone, but it works for us.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 03:27 PM

If you want to explore Istria or make day trips, Opatija is not a good base. If you are taking public transport, it will take quite a long ride to visit the western coastal towns or the venetian hilltop towns and then return. Opatija is not even in Istria! Not to say it isn't lovely, but it is a different place.
Search for a read other posts about Istria, and maybe you will have more ideas and questions for the forum.
And if you do want to follow the advice of issy and explore the inland areas, public transport will not be satisfactory. One of Istria's very few weaknesses happens to be just that, but somehow also one of its charms...in my village locals can catch a ride with the post or the school bus, or anyone with a car will stop for anyone who needs a ride. Istria is that friendly and, so far, that safe.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 02:20 AM

In Opatija as Reen mentioned walk down to fishing village Volosko and you will find the best restaurant called Le Mandrac ( www.lemandrac.com ).The meal there is great experience, mix of old traditional and modern. The best meal I could say we ever had