4 days in Istria - Rovinj or Opatija?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning 2 weeks in Croatia in Sept. Nothing is set in stone yet, but we know we want to spend about 4 days in Istria – 1 place only, from where we will take day trips (we will have a car).
We would like to visit Rovinj, Pula, Porec, Motovun, Opatija.

The dilemma: should we stay in Rovinj or Opatija? I understand they are both unique in their own way, so if you visited both, which one would you recommend? It seems that both have what we are looking for: by the sea, local charm, good restaurants. My first impulse was for Rovinj (Opatija seems more touristy) but I would like to hear your opinion.
Thanks
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 10:08 AM
pat

I`d pick rovinj. It`a smaller town. If you are the type that likes to sit at outdoor cafes and people watch, then Rovinj. It`s also convenient to Pula, Porec, and motovan. I liked Opatjia too, but prefer Rovinj for the small town feel.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 01:22 PM

Hi
Go with Rovinj. We did not visit Opatija though we skirted it on our way to the Dalmatian coast. We visited Poruc and stayed there a couple of days and went on to Rovinj. We drove to Trogir, but enjoyed the scenary of Rovinj that we drove there for several more day. we stayed at a hotel that included half board and were very close walking distance to the harbor. The seafood is excellent. We went toward the end of Sept. and if you enjoy seafood, mussels were in season. In addition to the restaurants in town, the hotel buffet had mussels one night that satiated me for a while.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

pat and aeiger,
Thank you both – we’ll stay in Rovinj then. Pat, your description of Rovinj is what I expected it to be, I know we will love it.