Daytrips from Opatija

Search

Daytrips from Opatija

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 2006, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daytrips from Opatija

Will be staying 4 nights in Opatija (1st night will be late afternoon arrival) last week in May, and interested in doing some day trips-one definitely to Pula, and perhaps Trieste, however, open to suggestions. We will be using public transportation. Also, from Opatija, we're heading to Ljubljana for 3 nights, before returning to Zagreb. Is it better to take the bus or train from Opatija to Ljubljana? Recommendations for lunch and/or dinner would also be appreciated!
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 08:15 AM

Dear Debs,

I was in Opatija last May for four nights. I loved the area. The amphitheater in Pula is fascinating. I was in Rovinj as well and enjoyed strolling around the streets and up to the church at the top of the hill. The seaside there was fascinating as well--lots of boats and ferries coming and going. I wish I could tell you about public transportation, but I was on a day trip which included both places as well as a stop for lunch at a winery.

Walk the Lunga mare (sp?) which goes 7 miles along the sea from Opatija to Lovran. It is a smooth walk-not much up and down with lots of benches along the way. There are places to go down onto beaches (small and rocky) as well as steps up to the towns between Lovran and Opatija. If you get tired you can catch a bus back to Opatija from many places. There are also lots of places with little cafes or grocery stores where you can buy sandwiches and water or other potables to bring back down and eat along the way. Lovran was a quiet town with narrow little streets to wander and some good restaurants. I wish I could remember the name of the one where I ate. It was off the main street and had lovely tables out in the garden.

For me that walk was a very special day.

Enjoy!

Old Jan 1st, 2007, 10:24 AM

You can take a bus from Opatija to Rovinj but it's a longish trip. Public transportation is limited to buses in that region. Trieste would probably be too far for a day trip. If you based yourself in Rovinj you might find the day trips (Pula, Motovun, Trieste, Porin) easier to do.
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 11:31 AM

The main bus company in the area is Autotrans (www.autotrans.hr). I'd recommend the trip from Opatija to Cres. The bus goes on a ferry to the island and the scenery is superb.

There are two trains daily from Opatija-Matulji to Ljubljana. The station is inland from Opatija, but is nearer than Rijeka. Schedules are on www.bahn.de.
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the excellent recommendations-they'll all come in handy as we plan our trip. Teacher33-do you happen to remember the name of the tour company you used for your Pula/Rovinj day trip? Sounds like something we would enjoy. Catbert-Already have confirmed reservations to stay in Opatija so our trips must be from there. Geoff-thanks for the websites-just what I was looking for!

We experienced Dubrovnik last year and loved it so much that we want to explore more of Croatia. If only we didn't have to wait until May to do that!
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 04:13 PM
ExpertTripPlanner

What about taking the ferry to Korcula? (Does it still run?)

Old Jan 1st, 2007, 04:57 PM
ExpertTripPlanner

Please forgive the double post. I was thinking of Orebic to Korcula. Sorry-

Old Jan 4th, 2007, 09:35 AM

From Opatija had down to direction Rijeka ( "Lungo mare" ) to little port called Volosko. We had best dinner in the restaurant Le Mandrac. ( www.lemandrac.com )