Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Istanbul's Hotel Empress Zoe--Which Room?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are driving ourselves nuts looking at Istanbul's Hotel Empress Zoe website. Even though we're only two persons on this trip, we've decided to splurge, and we booked the Maison Zoe Duplex. Then I look at the Villa Zoe Courtyard and Terrace suites and think I should have booked them.

The Penthouse is not available.

Any input from those of you who have stayed here?
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 12:11 PM

I stayed at this hotel back in 1999 and really liked it. Having said that, what exactly are you looking for in terms of accomodation at this hotel? Are you looking for a spectacular view of the sea? Or are you looking for something closer to ground level? I went to their website and the one you've booked doesn't sound half bad. I mean, from the description, you're getting 2 bedrooms, garden and sea views, a separate living room upstairs with 2 single day beds and 2 separate terraces, one with panoramic sea views. That sounds pretty plum to me.

The Zoe Courtyard has just that - a courtyard and garden views. The Terrace suites have a private covered terrace with garden and sea views (I really couldn't determine what sort of sea view you'd get if you got that room). If it were up to me, I'd stick with what you've already booked.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Weekender

Stay in either the Chez Zoe Garden or Chez Zoe Deluxe Garden suite. We had these two suites last year and have booked all three Chez Zoe suites for the next visit. Great place to stay!

Old Nov 6th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Weekender: Why those suites over the Duplex?
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 07:28 PM

When are you going, Josephina? I understand from Trip Advisor reviews that there is construction at the 4 Seasons and it is impacting the EZ. You may want to choose a room that avoids the worst of it...
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 02:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Cheesehead: You read my mind--I did write the owner yesterday afternoon about the construction. Ann said that she thinks the 4 Seasons should have moved indoors by then. Said it's in 4 Season's own best interest to get this done since their own rooms are equally, if not more so, impacted by the construction.

She added that the Villa Zoe rooms are impacted more than the one I chose;however, she seems to think that since 4 Seasons will be indoors by January,it should not a factor.

I don't know whether or not you've been following this situation on TripAdvisor, but it must be excrutiating trying to run a business when the 4 Seasons has construction, then suspends it, has it again, suspends it without any kind of schedule.

One last remark--I found TripAdvisor for Istanbul hotels to be terribly unreliable. The reviews for so many of the hotels were obviously fake or a "here is what you should say..." thing.

The comments on Empress Zoe on this forum I took to be creditable. It was only THEN that I read the TripAdvisor ones as back-up. Since Empress Zoe reviews there did not seem to be manufactured, and the owner inserted replies frequently, I felt I was able to form a realistic picture of the place.

In other words---Thank goodness for the people on this board!
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 05:17 PM

Hi Josephina,

I agree with you 100% about the Trip Advisor reviews I was seeing for Istanbul. Now that reviewers have to register I will click on their names to see what other hotels they have reviewed. For so many it is their only review, so I take that into consideration. Every one has to start somewhere ( and I don't have all that many reviews listed myself) but I do wonder how great a place REALLY is if none of the reviewers have written about any place else! I am cynical, I guess. I assign much more weight to those who have multiple hotel reviews. BTW, I also have a friend who stayed at the EZ and very much enjoyed it.

I, too, am considering the EZ, but my visit is in May. The 4S SURELY should be done by then, right??
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 04:30 AM
Weekender

Josephina:

I am a big fan of TripAdvisor but I do find the hotel reviews in Istanbul particularly suspect.

That said, the Empress Zoe is really charming and we loved it. The hotel was sold out for the few nights of our visit and we ended up at the Ritz Carlton. The Ritz is, of course, lovely but we much preferred both the Empress Zoe and staying in Sultanahmet.

Old Nov 8th, 2007, 09:16 AM

Weekender - You preferred Empress Zoe over the RC? I was trying to decide between the two myself. I know they are apples and oranges, but we can use points to stay at the RC free. I almost hate to waste the points though, when EZ is not really all that expensive, and their are other nice spots in Sultanahment that are even less expensive.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Weekender

HappyCheesehead:

Yes, it is true! Thingorjus thinks this is heresy but we MUCH preferred the Empress Zoe and being in the old city. Very atmospheric to say the least. The Ritz has wonderful rooms, fabulous bathrooms and a great spa, too. However, we did not like the location at all.

We loved having cocktails at the Four Seasons. If you have time, go over to Kanlica on the Asian side and have lunch at the Ajia hotel. Fantastic! The manager of the hotel had the hotel's private launch bring us back to the other side.

Old Nov 8th, 2007, 11:20 AM

Stayed in EZ in October 2001 before it expanded. Loved the hotel - great location, wonderful people, nice breakfast and Jasper is a sweetie - if he is still around say hello from me
http://www.flickr.com/photos/35484456@N00/1659252107/
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Cheesehead: Even if the construction isn't finished, it will be inside for sure by then.

Wombat: I downloaded your photos a few days ago! I Googled Images for Empress Zoe so I could verify their pics online and reality. As we all seem to agree, their reviews and their pics are "real".

In fact, I hope the hotel can live up to the high opinions of all here. I'll make sure to post when I get back.

By the way, thanks to other advice here, I did download Thingorus' guide to eats in Istanbul. Alas, if only I could see Muffy in action.