Reload this Page >

Istanbul: best 5* hotels in best location

Old Aug 12th, 2014, 10:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,

Visiting Istanbul for 3 nights on our way back from Croatia back to the States in a few weeks.

Currently have a reservation at the Park Hyatt but looking a bit closer at the property it seems so very far from the center of the action, especially given that we're first-time visitors.

We don't literally need to be in the middle of the madness but I also don't want to be so dreadfully far away that getting around becomes unmanageable.

What are the best higher-end properties? Definitely cannot afford the Four Seasons (either of them) at over $1000/night. But something in the $350-500/night range is fine.

One place that looks really interesting is the House Hotel Bosphorus--which has a beautiful waterfront location but, again, I worry about the overall location.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!
Old Aug 13th, 2014, 05:21 AM

For me the decision is simple. I want the hotel I stay in to be PART of the attraction, the history, the culture, the visit, not just somewhere to stay in some modern tower block with fancy decor (OK, that's just my view! ;0) )

So I'd stay at the famous Pera Palas Hotel, opened in 1892 by the Wagons-Lits company for passengers arriving on their Orient Express.

Agatha Christie and many many famous people stayed there, it's just had a major makeover so is no long cheap faded grandeur but more expensive modern genuine grandeur (OK, so I miss the old version, a little...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pera_Palace_Hotel

http://www.jumeirah.com/en/hotels-re...otel-jumeirah/

Why just visit and photograph Istanbul's famous attractions when you can stay in one!

No, I'm not affiliated with the hotel in any way, I've just stayed there on various occasions since 1995, most recently in 2013. And it was where I told my wife she was pregnant (Nate is now 8 years old!).
Old Aug 13th, 2014, 06:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Good idea above.

Although the House Hotel bosphorus is a terrific location with a world class view.

If you choose the House Hotel, you can take a sea taxi to and from old town. Not cheap but will only take 15-20 minutes and beat all traffic. (can pay by credit card)

google for sea taxi istanbul.

evening at Ortakoy is also great in the Summer, a much nicer location than where Pera Palas is located. You will be within minutes of walking distance of the great supper clubs of Reina and Sortie.

Also great location for morning walks.

Similarly, check Radisson Blue Bosphorus, almost next to House Hotel, or Bebek Hotel further up the Bosphorus.
Old Aug 13th, 2014, 06:53 AM

By the way, Park Hyatt is not that far away from the historic sites. About 1.5-2 miles further than Pera Palas.

Its rooms are much nicer and it is in a upscale polpular location with good restaurants, cafes and bars as well as great shopping.
Old Aug 13th, 2014, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

thanks to both of you.

otherchelebi, between the Park Hyatt and House Hotel (pricing is similar) which would you choose? the Park Hyatt seems to be nicer overall (room-wise) but the views and location seem maybe a bit better at House Hotel.
Old Aug 13th, 2014, 02:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you looked at the Ritz CARLTON or the Intercontinental? Both are within walking distance of Taxim Square and Dolmahbache Palas.

However, the Intercontinental is not 5*.

I, personally, would stay at the Ciragan Kempinski with the Koc Family or Orhan Pamuk.

See you at Louis Vuitton.

Thin
Old Aug 13th, 2014, 04:47 PM

filmwill,

I believe both my wife and I would prefer the Bosphorus view and Ortakoy location during the period you will be visiting.

In Winter, i would opt for Park Hyatt but DW would again prefer House Hotel.

check also the commuter ferry schedules from Eminonu at old town side of Galata bridge and Besiktas or possibly even Ortakoy , especially for coming back to the hotel around 5-7PM

Besiktas to Ortakoy is not a long taxi drive or even a walk.

sehirhatlari.com (they have an English site as well)
Old Aug 13th, 2014, 09:35 PM
Original Poster

ms. von snoot, the Kempinksi is just a tad above our means so that's out. But it is gorg.

otherchelebi, any thoughts on the House Hotel's other property--the Vault Karakoy--that seems to be much more central?
Old Aug 13th, 2014, 11:16 PM

we stayed at the very low-brow-fab-view 'cosmopolitan park hotel' last summer... and all day we would pass the 'four seasons' hotel just a couple of doors down.

we really loved the neighborhood, and the 4 seasons looked fancy but not out of place... it seemed very welcoming. from this location, you can walk in any direction, and find something interesting.
Old Aug 13th, 2014, 11:48 PM

I have not visited The Vault but Karakoy has no appeal for me. It is a business area with a continuous traffic jam in he day time and a deserted location at night except for some popular restaurants. (Does have two of the better Baklava shops in Istanbul, Gulluoglu and Koskeroglu on opposite sites of the multi-storey self-park, though.)

As for Thin's remarks, most members of the Koc family and definitely Orhan Pamuk are terribly boring. Being wealtyh or a nobel winner does not automatically qualify people as good companions.
Old Aug 14th, 2014, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to you all, again.

We decided on the House Hotel Bosphorus. Will report back on how it is. Very, very excited!!
Old Aug 14th, 2014, 09:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is Mr. von Snoot.

Well, the Kocs may be boring but they certainly have a stunning home on the Bosporus.

Thin