Istambul hotels?

Sep 24th, 2002, 08:26 AM
Carol

Istambul hotels?

I'm planning a trip to Istambul and I don't know the best area to stay. Can someone tell me which is the best area in Istambul and recommend me good 4 and 5 stars hotels?
Thanks

Sep 24th, 2002, 08:45 AM
christi

Hi,

We went to Istanbul last year and definately think that staying in the Sultanahmet area is your best bet. This area is in the old part of the town close to the Blue Mosque and good shopping and local restaurants. I know there are several 4 star hotels there but I can't remember any of the names! Good luck.

Sep 24th, 2002, 09:46 AM
Carol

thanks Christi for the information.

Sep 24th, 2002, 10:03 AM
Karen

We were in Istambul over Easter this past year and had a fabulous visit. We stayed at the Four Seasons - which was a splurge for us -- but well worth it in my book. The hotel is centrally located and extremely comfortable. It is walking distance to Topkapi Palace and the Blue Mosque.
This hotel used to be the old prison -- but the Four Seasons really changed that!

While you are in Istanbul you really should take in a Turkish Bath. I understand these are mostly for tourists now but it was a fascinating experience......

We also spent some time in Capadoccia - which was wonderful. If you have time, I highly recommend this region.

Have fun!

Sep 24th, 2002, 10:08 AM
Jim

Carol,
Definitely agree that the Sultanahmet area is the place to stay. Been about four years now so I hesitate making a hotel recommendation-do a search and you will find that just about any 3* hotel is this area is fine.

Sep 24th, 2002, 10:13 AM
Kris

The hotel that seems to pop up as "best" the most is Ciragan Palace. Do a search on this site and you will find lots of feedback. The Four Seasons also seems to be highly regarded. I'm not willing to spend as much as either of them cost but if you have the budget....

If you are interested in visiting the sites, the Sultanahmet area is more convenient to the mosques, Topkapi, the Grand Bazaar, etc. so I think the Four Seasons would be a better choice location wise.

Sep 25th, 2002, 01:45 AM
brownie

Definitely the Sultanahmet area.

We found Ciragan Palace and 4-seasons way over our budget. Found a four-star place called Grand Yavuz which was great.

So if depends on your budget.

Do a search, you'll find plenty of information. I did a quick post about the Grand Yavuz when we got back a while ago.

G'luck.
-brownie

Sep 26th, 2002, 04:17 AM
Ann Young

We stayed very close to the Blue Mosque, in a hotel called the Arcadia. I would go back in a minute. You eat your breakfast on the roof overlooking the Bosperous (sp?). they gave us a small suite overlooking the mosque and it was wonderful. Please try this place