Istanbul: Four Seasons or Ciragan??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2004, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are trying to decide. Any suggestions?
Thanks Janet.
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 08:47 PM

Hi Janet,
Don't know about the Ciragan, but we walked into the Four Seasons lobby and it is extremely lovely. It's in the old town and close to lots of places of interest.

We stayed in Istanbul a week and walked around day and evening and felt safe. We actually stayed in a B&B around the corner from the Four Seasons for around $40 a night. That was a few years ago.

If you want an upscale hotel, the Four Seasons would be a good choice.

We loved Istanbul. Have fun.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 12:20 AM

If I were you I would stay in 4 Season why? Because hotel is in the center of HISTORY and Old Istanbul BUT Ciragan is little bit outside of this center you have to take a taxi to go anywhere you want EXCEPT Dolmabahce Palace and CIRAGAN Palace.

Sinan Akdeniz
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 02:32 AM
Singletail

On another note, my understanding is that the visa for US citizens has dropped in price to $20.00

Old Apr 29th, 2004, 02:46 AM

Janet - 2 fantastic hotels, but my vote would be the 4 Seasons - only because of location. We stayed at the 7 Hills Hotel immediately adjacent to the 4 Seasons. If you have time have a evening drink on their roof top terrace - truely spectacular!
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 04:15 AM

We loved our stay at the Four Seasons. There's little left to remind you that it was a prison in its previous life. The rooms vary quite a bit, so ask to see other rooms if you don't like the initial offer. We upgraded for a small difference in price, much less than the "official" rate. The old city location is very convenient. You'll enjoy the elaborate nightly "treats" left in your room. Have drinks on the roof top terrace overlooking the old city. You can have an inexpensive traditional breakfast at one of several small cafes in the area if you don't want to pay the stiff breakfast charges at the Four Seasons. Enjoy Istanbul!
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 05:06 AM
sandi

We stayed at the Ciragen as we preferred to be away from the hectic Old Town - narrow streets, lots of people, noise and smells. Granted the Four Season was lovely, but at the end of the day it was nice to take a taxi and return to the Ciragen. Taxis are inexpensive.

Our rooms were very large, had a view of the Bosphorus, and cocktains around their pool is a "must do" late afternoon.

Granted there are more sights near the Four Seasons, but there is lots to see in the newer part of town, many choices or restaurants in residential neighborhoods, even shopping along Istlakal. Beautiful park across from the Ciragen and as mentioned the Dolmabache Palace. You can't go wrong with either hotel - so it's your choice.

Old Apr 29th, 2004, 05:28 AM

If this is your first visit to Istanbul, then go for the total immersion in the historic peninsula: the 4 seasons.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 05:38 AM

I was in Istanbul this past Ocotber - I stayed in the Sultanhamet but not at the Four Seasons. However, friends did stayed at the Four Seasons - great location, exceptional service and food. We went to the Ciragan for dinner. It's a huge hotel - I found it a bit impersonal.