Reload this Page >

Is this good or what?

Search

Is this good or what?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 07:35 PM
Rosemary

Is this good or what?

Two people renting a 2 bdrm house in Tuscany for $563 for a week,a 2 bdrm house in Stresa on Lake Maggiore for $441 for a week and a rental car from AutoEurope for 16 days for $520.Opinions/evaluations??

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 07:43 PM
Rex

It sounds pretty decent. As with all realestate questions, location... location... location... matters. And other features of the properties. And what season. And what size car.<BR><BR>For a teensy car, the price might be a little high.<BR><BR>Has the provider been able to provide you with adequate photos of the properties?<BR><BR>You might also try asking this question on www.slowtrav.com<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 07:52 PM
Rosemary

Hi Rex, Car is teensy but price today is $811.Have seen many photos of interior of both houses-would not rent without them.Travel dates are 23 May 2003 to 9 June 2003.Took a lot of research but think prices are very good.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 03:34 AM
Sherry

Car prices are sometimes all over the place in Italy.<BR>If this helps at all, we rented a car mid May 2002 from Auto Europe for ten days for $590. It was an automatic with the full insurance. I do not remember the make, but it was an economy sized car, four door. It wasn't teeny tiny, but on the small side.<BR>

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 04:57 AM
Rex

I'll stay with my initial impression - - sounds pretty decent. You seem to think that the price is good, and U believe that your instincts are right.<BR><BR>Could you find something cheaper? Maybe. Cheaper almost always means giving up something. And you are almost surely giving up &quot;something&quot; compared to properties and car rentals that might cost you twice as much.<BR><BR>Value is a very elusive thing to define.<BR><BR>I think you have done your homework. And it has paid off.<BR><BR>Have a great trip - - hope you do similarly well in finding your transportation to and from Italy.<BR>

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 09:40 AM
lily

Have you checked the Slow Traveller website? Much info on rentals in Tuscany from first hand experience.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 03:31 PM
Rosemary

Hi Rex, Thanks for reply.Got flight first. Lufthansa is flying from here(Portland,OR) to Frankfurt non-stop beginning March 31,2003 for $403 RT plus taxes .So for $555 ( incl taxes) we are flying Ptld-Frankfurt-Milan RT.<BR> Most of my info comes from slowtrav including La Bella Toscana rental agency which even took Visa for dwnpmt.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 03:35 PM
Rex

I think that this is a stunningly good example of information-gathering and trip-planning using this forum and other internet resources.<BR><BR>I hope that all of your trip goes this well, and I bet that it will.<BR>

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 04:05 PM
Connie

Rosemary - your wonderful bargain-hunting skills are astounding and amaze us all! I bet you have the nose of a bloodhound. Literally.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 04:13 PM
Rosemary

Thanks Connie, The computer is a wonderfully,useful tool for travel.And I love planning trips using computer.

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 07:09 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Roesmary, I love it--good job. And, I agree that it is a excellent example of what rewards good homework can bring. I assure you that someone else is doing a similar itinerary and paying at least double the price. I love the web !

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 07:19 AM
jj

Rosemary, could you tell us more about how you found your deals?

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 11:10 AM
Rosemary

jj,www.slowtrav.com was a great site for searching house rentals. I also used Google-just search for &quot;house rentals Italy&quot;.Travel section of a library is a good source,too.