Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is the train ride from Nice to Genoa pretty?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2002, 08:51 AM
Terra

I can either get to Genoa by train from Milan (1.5 hrs) or from Nice (3 hrs). If the train ride across the riviera is picturesque I might consider that. Any comments? <BR><BR>Thanks!<BR>Terra

Old May 30th, 2002, 06:44 PM
Rex

Short answer: no, it is not. You're in tunnels 30% of the time, and on bridges connecting the tunnels another 30%.<BR><BR>It's fascinating geography - - fascinating that they had the detrmination to drill so many tunnels to build a railroad (and highways) through one rock plate after another!<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old May 30th, 2002, 07:04 PM
truffaut

Hmmm, I enjoyed the train trip from Nice to Genoa and don't really remember lots of tunnels from Nice - although I'm sure they are there - but I do remember seeing lovely little sea towns along the way so there is some scenery. The train stops in pretty much every town along the way and so probably the reason why it takes 3 hours. I'm also not a big fan of Milan, but found Nice lovely and relaxing -- if you get to visit Nice as well while you're there then I think that starting from a more low key town might be worth the 1.5 hour difference.

Old May 30th, 2002, 07:50 PM
Patrick

I'm confused too. I have driven from Nice past Genoa and it is all tunnels, but I really don't remember that many onb the train which I've also done. I thought it was a very scenic ride.

Old May 30th, 2002, 11:15 PM
Tony

The description given by Rex definitely applies to the autostrada road, but not to the railway.<BR>The scenery is interesting, rather than spectacular, as the line moves from one seaside holiday town/village to the next, most of which are showing their age, and are looking decidedly tired. The line is very close to the sea most of the way. Good views of Genoa harbour/port on the left as you leave.

Old May 31st, 2002, 04:12 AM
Rex

Now I wonder if there are two different railways. I have taken the train from Nice to Milan - - which goes VIA Genoa - - but does not make all the stops mentioned by truffaut. There were about as many tunnels as the autostrada - - but maybe not quite as many. But now I wonder if there is a more "local" route that is not so tunnel-bound.<BR>

Old May 31st, 2002, 08:21 AM
up

up<BR>

Old May 31st, 2002, 08:46 AM
Steve James

There's only one train route, Rex. The number of stops depends on whether it's an inter-city or a slower regional train.<BR><BR>I used it several times a few months ago on the Italian stretch between Ventimiglia and Genoa. I only remember a few short tunnels on the western end towards the French border. Agree with Tony - the scenery is interesting/pleasant rather than spectacular on the Italian side.<BR><BR>I believe the stretch on the French side either side of Montecarlo is the most scenic part, - though I do remember a number of tunnels along that stretch from a previous trip, so you don't get the full benefit of the scenery.<BR><BR>Hope this helps ...<BR><BR>Steve