Nice, France things to do

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have an opportunity to visit Nice for the first time in April for about 8 days. I have not had an opportunity to do any research yet, so thought I'd check with the savvy travelers at Fodors to get some input. I like to take photos of old places (churches, fountains, etc.) and scenery, some light hiking, very light shopping, and people watching. Will be on my own most of time, but thought we might venture to Cinque Terre over the weekend. Is that do-able?
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 11:07 AM

I enjoyed the Chagall museum in Nice - there is a Picasso museum in a nearby town (Antibes?) if art is your thing. People watching is great in Old Nice and its fun to just wander around in too - some interesting shops with fairly inexpensive fabrics, soaps etc. The is an Orthodox church not far from the train station that looks like something you would see in Russia. Also a long promenade up above the beach for strolling or running. I wish I had taken a train up into the hills (the pine cone train / line dinge?)but I did not leave the coastal area. Its a ways to Cinque Terre - maybe six hours by train - you might consider a closer destination on the Italian coast. Cote d'Azur is a lovely corner of the world - the water is an amazing color of blue! - good food and gorgeous scenery - I'm sure you will have a fabulous time.
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 11:43 AM

For photo-taking of old places, just head straight to Vieux Nice: churches, old houses, the Palais Lascaris...you won't be short of subjects. Vieux Nice is also good for light shopping, especially if Provençal fabrics appeal to you. For magnificent scenery, just head for the Mediterranean--think of those Dufy pictures of the Promenade des Anglais and environs and you'll be inspired.
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 11:45 AM

A great short easy walk: Take the Cote d'Azur metro train to the Cap d'Ail train station, go down to the seaside paths and turn left and head for Monaco, just two miles away on awesome seaside paved path - flat, going thru an undeveloped coast line the likes of which has vanished from much of the Riviera - an outstanding walk letting you see the extraordinary beauty of the rocky coast splashed by uncannily clear azure-hued water - passing isolated swimming holes. Return from Monaco by rail to Nice.
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

thanks so much for your input - it is definitely appreciated!!
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 05:09 AM

You should also try to visit the little villages on the way to Monaco such as villefranche and don't miss Eze with its old houses and amazing views