Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is Spitafields Market in London worth going to?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2006, 09:14 AM
jgg
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in London for a week in March. My 13 y.o. daughter (and I) enjoy shopping and would like to go to one of the markets. The way our itinerary is laying out looks like shopping will have to be mid-week, or on a Friday. Many have said Portabello is only good on the weekends. Have read about Camden Market, but not really interested in the goth, punk scene. I looked on Spitafields website, (http://www.spitalfields.org.uk/) and they listed some interesteing looking stores. However, when I did a fodor's search, the most recent mention of Spitafields was in 8/2004. Has anyone been there recently and tell me if it is a good place to shop for fun styles and vintage items?

By the way I know shopping in London is expensive, but we do need to buy something as a souvenier and just the experience is part of the fun - even if you don't buy anything. We are also planning on spending time on Oxford St. where many have mentioned some good places for teens to shop.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 09:51 AM

It's going strong..

http://www.visitspitalfields.com/stalls/misc.html

If you like food markets, try Borough Market of Fridays..nr Southwark Cathedral..fantastic!
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 10:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
jgg, If you search on SpitaLfields, you'll see some more recent posts.

A Sunday trip to Spitalfields has become a tradition for me and my daughter (also a young teen) whenever we visit London. Last stop was a few months ago.

You'll both have a great time!
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 11:32 AM

Spitalfields is great for Sunday. Be sure to pop up to Brick Lane for some Indian food after. Or into the Ten Bells for a whiff of Jack the Ripper. Petticoat Lane is right there and is also on Sunday mornings. My daughter loves em all. If you've time try Camden too, a bit tacky but I can't get my kids away . Cutting edge stuff if you're 15.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 04:15 PM

I went last year in March and it was ok. There was a lot of construction going on around the area so it must be becoming a new 'hip' spot?? I'm pretty sure it is a big Sunday market though.

There is a great trad food shop on the way to the market called A. Gold that is worth a visit. Definitely have a walk over to Brick Lane - via Christ Church and Fournier St.

The other place of interest in the area on Sunday is the Columbia Rd flower market - I didn't get here last trip but it is on the agenda for this March - I understand that there are some fun shops on either side of the road that are perhaps more interesting than the flower market. It's an area that is worth the trip.

Don't be put off by others that say Portobello is only good at the weekend - there is a smaller, and much quieter market on Friday - lots of stands with jewelry that would interest you and your daughter - and Notting Hill to visit and lunch in afterwards
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 02:51 AM

With regard to Oxford Street, don't venture too far down towards Tottenham Court Road as it's pretty much full of tat - stick around Oxford Circus and the part up toward Marble Arch (along which stretch you'll find Selfridges - don't bother going too far past there).

Far and away the best store for your daughter is Top Shop, which you've probably read about. Years ago it was a pretty downmarket cheap shop but it's transformed amazingly - and the Oxford Circus branch is HUGE. Lots of celebs shop there and are proud to say that they're wearing a copy of whatever the latest designer trend is - and that's what it's great for, you can get cheap versions of the latest (often cutting-edge) fashion which, given that these trends don't tend to last long, makes it very reasonable. They also have official scouts from modelling agencies there on a daily basis - so you never know!!
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 05:21 AM

Some trivia that may add some interest to your visit: One of Jack The Ripper's victim was found there, not a pretty sight. Back then the Spita Fields were the outskirts of town. The name Spita Fields comes from a medieval hospital for tuberculosis that used to be on the spot (spit-spita-hospital). It looked like an interesting place to visit, the tour guide explained that the place is a bustling market with food, vegetables, flowers, etc. Certainly quite the contrast.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 05:50 AM

I second the recommendation for Borrough Market if you like foodie things. It's beautiful, simply beautiful.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 06:29 AM
jgg
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. It appears from their website that many of the shops in Spitafields are permanent, so if we can't go on a Sunday, but maybe a Friday, everything should still be open?

Also, food markets are always fun so thanks for the tips on those.

Tallulah - thanks for the advice on how far to go down on Oxford St. I was just looking at the map thinking this is a long street so how far up or down do I have to go! You helped answer that.

Old Jan 14th, 2006, 06:31 AM

I agree that the little shop A. Gold is well worth a visit.
It has its own website at http://www.agold.co.uk/
It has some really nice traditional cakes like Yorkshire Brack, yummy!
You can also get old fashioned sweets including Dr. Who's favourite jelly babies.
Today there was a good review of a restaurant called Canteen
see http://tinyurl.com/b224w
It serves traditional English food and seems much better than Roast at Borough Market.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 06:56 AM

The market used to be pretty quiet during the week, may still be on Fridays though as you say the permanent shops are there. Sunday is the day to go. Also look at the fruit n veg shop Verde's opposite the market in Brushfield Street. It's run by the author Jeanette Winterson and is full of interesting organic produce (and possibly interesting people too). Yes, A Gold is worth a visit, next door to Verde's I think. I'd give Oxford Street a miss, it's awful!
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 07:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As noted, Sunday is the best day for Spitalfields. I've been during the week (not recently) and it seemed more fruit and veg than anything else. I'm a bit lukewarm on the permanent shops and though I'd probably stop by mid week if I were in the area, I wouldn't make it a destination.

Agree that any fashion worthy 13 YO will love Topshop. That could be your best souvenir opportunity, very affordable and not something available at home. And although they're in the US, mine also loved the flagship H&M store.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 08:46 AM

Hi,

here's some information about Spital fields and pictures of a few things I bought there. As well as info about Borough Market!

http://www.mcdougalladventures.com/e...borough-market

http://www.mcdougalladventures.com/e...lfields-market

You'll love them both.