Where are the London Markets?

Apr 12th, 2002, 12:07 PM
cherie

Where are the London Markets?

I saw a message about bargaining at London markets. Where are they and what kind of things do they have? I know how to bargain but I need to know where and for what!!!! Thanks!

Apr 12th, 2002, 01:13 PM
Artemis

British markets are sort of a cross between a flea market and a sidewalk sale. They sell *everything,* from produce to clothing to "antiques" to books to flowers to baked goods to videos to stationary ...

You can find some great bargains at English markets, but you can also find lots of rubbish! But they're fun even if you don't buy.

There are different locations all over London. Some are permanent/daily, while others will only be on weekends or selected days of the week.

The most famous London market is the Portobello market. Check out this site: http://www.londonci.demon.co.uk/ Also, the Camden markets: http://www.camdenlock.net/markets.html

Apr 12th, 2002, 01:19 PM
bargain

There are many London markets
have a look at http://www.timeout.com/london/serv/general_markets.html

One of my favourites is the Columbia Road Flower Market held on Sunday morning. It's a real cockney market and has very few tourists, just Londoners buying flowers, plants and garden equipment.

Apr 12th, 2002, 06:29 PM
sandy c(new bern

hi cherie,

I loved portobello martket on saturday morning in notting hill. here's the key thought...you need to get there early. not because the good stuff is gone...but because the crowds get so bad after 10.30-11 that you can't walk without having to bump into each other (makes it very easy for picpockets).

we went about 8.30, most of the vendors had just opened up and found some really nice stuff.

the other place is not really a flea market but more of an artist fair. on sunday, all along bayswater rd on the hyde park side of the road, artists set up their pieces and sell. i am not sure if this is done every sunday but it is wonderful. it goes on for about 2 miles and you can find some really wonderful stuff there.

sandy c(new bern)

Apr 12th, 2002, 06:56 PM
Shannon

Romford market is excellent.

Apr 12th, 2002, 10:01 PM
Linda

Cherie, I love Camden Market; however, please be aware that it is a bit harder to find than you might at first believe.

When you get off the tube, you will very soon see a small one-block area that is under an awning, with the words "Camden Market" on it. This is NOT the market. (CM has gotten a bad rap, and as a London friend pointed out, this is probably why.)

Just keep walking up the street, over the canal (stopping to see the locks on the way. Right next to the canal is the beginning of the real market, which covers quite a few blocks. On the first corner is a neat shop that sells nothing but purses and backpacks. I bought a neat one for only 5 GBP!

Apr 13th, 2002, 04:14 AM
Judy

Last month,I took my sister to visit Borough and Greenwich Saturday markets.Borough market mainly for flowers and all kinds of interesting food,Greenwich market with a bit of everything(including second hand books),we enjoyed both very much.

Apr 13th, 2002, 07:12 AM
sandy c(new bern)

judy,

I am going back to london in the fall. where or how do you get to "greenwich"? I am second hand book fanatic and would love to go to a market that had them.

would you remember tube stops etc?

sandy c

Apr 13th, 2002, 10:24 AM
Judy

To Snady: We took tub to Bank station, then transfered to Docklands Light Railway to Greenwich/Lewisham,off at Greenwich station. On return,we took bus #188(?) back to town.

Besides the market, Royal Observaory,Maritime Museum and Greenwich Park are all very interesting to visit.

Apr 13th, 2002, 11:49 AM
Olkay

Checkout Walthamstow market in East London. It's the longest in Europe, best to go Saturdays. Romford is very good as well, that's just outside London in Essex, that is best on Saturdays as well. St Albans is a nice market too (also on Saturday). Nice historical town (Roman ruins etc)

Apr 13th, 2002, 03:45 PM
demi

Portobello and all the others are for fun and maybe a treasure find...if you are serious about a particular thing you may want to check out Bermondsey on Friday mornings...get there by 5 AM!!! That is not a typo..It's where they othere dealers pick up the stuff you will be buying at PRD or camden!

Apr 13th, 2002, 04:37 PM
Patrick Wallace

For Greenwich market, I would get off at Cutty Sark rather than Greenwich (or Island Gardens and walk through the foot tunnel under the Thames).

There are lots of general street markets for food and cheap clothes and so on. Petticoat Lane (Middlesex St) (Liverpool Street station) is an old London institution for a Sunday morning, but I don't find it half as interesting as its neighbour markets at Spitalfields and Brick Lane (again on a Sunday)

Apr 15th, 2002, 04:22 AM
Patrick Wallace

Whaddayaknow, this morning on the way to work I saw a poster advertising the latest update for London Transport's leaflet on markets....
http://www.londontransport.co.uk/reallondon/rl_markets_home.shtml

I'd only consider bargaining over antiques/bric-a-brac

Apr 22nd, 2002, 07:15 AM
Gareth

At any tube station you will find a small fold out guide to all the main london markets with explanations of which trains and buses to get. Just ask an attendent.

Apr 22nd, 2002, 12:16 PM
Victoria

we will only be in London on a Tue and Wed. in Sept. Are there any markets then?
Thanks for your help.
Vicki

Apr 22nd, 2002, 02:30 PM
ggrant

Hello, Camden Passage Wed. 7am to 2pm. Underground Angel. Get off at Angel go to street level and turn right. Just keep walking and you will find sidewalk vendors and a whole array of shops. I like this one, always try to fit it in. There is a small french restaurant with really good food. Can't remember the name. It is on the left, about midway down the area. I think it might have been Chez something. Good place for lunch or a snack when you get tired.

Apr 22nd, 2002, 07:31 PM
Cindy

What markets are open on Mondays and Tuesdays?

Jun 11th, 2002, 09:13 AM
Sarah

North Weald Market (open of a Saturday) is the largest open market in Europe and is lots of fun.

Oct 8th, 2002, 11:32 AM
Mary

Is it too early to get to Portobello Market on Saturday morning around 7:30? or is best to get their around 8:30? or is it best to get there even earlier??? I saw 5:30 even someplace.

Are there any market open early on Sundays, like around 7 or 8am?

Thanks much!

Oct 11th, 2002, 09:52 AM
Ric

If you had a choice to visit either Portobello Market or Camden Market on a Saturday Morning, which would you choose and why? Although I'd like to see both, I don't have enough time in my intinerary.