Best London Market?

Feb 27th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Best London Market?

I am interested in checking one of the London markets on Saturday morning. Looking for something with arts and crafts, maybe some food to pickup to take to the park for lunch or one that may just be unique in some way. I have read about Portobello, Camden, Greenwich and Leadenhall markets. Any recommendations?
Thanks
Feb 27th, 2007, 08:41 PM

We've been to a few of the markets. Our favorite was Borough Market - the food market on the South Bank on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. http://www.boroughmarket.org.uk/
Great place to pick up food for the park. We followed our visit to the market with a walk along the South Bank.

We did Portobello on Friday, which was fun. We only did the part near the flyover, and saw jewelry, clothing and vintage records. It was freezing and raining and we didn't stay long, but did find some great vintage clothing for my daughter.

Camden Market proper is the punk-y/goth-y one. Lots of cheap black clothes and band t-shirts. We found vintage clothes in the Electric Ballroom. The Stables, down a bit from the main market, does have antiques and crafts. Didn't see any food. Camden is on Sundays, from what I recall.
Feb 27th, 2007, 08:50 PM

Probably the most famous and oldest of all London's street markets, Petticoat Lane was established over 400 years ago and still attracts visitors from all over the world. The Huguenots who came to London from France sold petticoats and lace here but the prudish Victorians changed the name of the Lane and market to avoid referring to woman's underclothes!

The market actually takes place in Wentworth Street on Monday - Friday, spreading on Sundays to become even bigger with 10 seperate trading streets including Middlesex Street. You'll find bargains of every kind, including new clothes from well-known chain stores as well as leather goods, watches and toys.

The market is open from Monday to Friday, and on Sundays from 9.00 to 14.00
my fav!!
Feb 27th, 2007, 08:53 PM

oops, forgot to mention that Portobello is supposed to be quite crowded on Saturday mornings - you would want to go quite early.

Also, there are crafts in the carts at Covent Garden.

There are several previous threads on the London markets - the search function will bring up some of them.
Feb 28th, 2007, 08:00 PM

I was at Camden market this past Saturday (later in the day) and absolutely loved it. Lots of clothes and ethnic jewellery, and plenty of places to get a bite to eat. You can also take a canal boat between Camden and Little Venice, which is worth doing if the weather is nice.
Mar 2nd, 2007, 02:40 PM

For arts&craft and a few food stalls then head for the covered market in Greenwich - greenwich park is just nearby as well - you will not be disappointed

there is also an outdoor market section with cds, records, antiques etc
Mar 2nd, 2007, 03:07 PM

Portobello Rd on Saturday morning is great - but you want to get there EARLY and leave by 10:00 or there abouts. By then it is so very crowded that you really can't see much - or even walk through easily.

And, Borough Market is terrific -- however I was there just a week ago Saturday and it was a total mob scene. No exaggeration - I could not walk through the market or get close to any of the food sellers. It seems to be overwhelemd by its popularity. I ended up going into the cafe in Southwark Cathedral's refectory to sit down/get a bite to eat. I asked some of the lay persons in the Cathedral if the market was especially crowded for some event or ?? They said unfortunately, no - it is getting worse all the time. I overheard lots of grumbling from locals saying it wasn't worth even going any more.

This was on a sunny but cold Feb Sat - so I can only imagine what it is like in the spring/summer. Nothing at all like it was just a few years ago.
Mar 2nd, 2007, 11:00 PM

Whichever you choose, don't choose Leadenhall market and expect to see street vendors and the like. Leadenhall market is an architecturally pretty set of buildings made more famous by its recent Harry Potter connections. But outside of 9am to 7pm weekdays, it's dead. All that's there are a few bars and shops, it's not a "London market" in the sense you're looking for. Go and look at it, take a picture or two by all means, preferably on the way to somewhere else (e.g. it's near the Monument), but don't consider it a "Market" which sells stuff you're looking for...
Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:06 AM

We went to Borough Market at around 9:30 on a Saturday morning on a beautiful cool August day. The market was very crowded, but especially in the area nearest to the Cathedral, which is the first part we got to upon arrival. There are baker booths and maybe some cheese, and the foot traffic was nearly at a standstill. In fact, I got mauled by someone's industrial strength wheeled cart.

We found other parts of the market much more manageable. I'm thinking of visiting on a Friday afternoon for our trip later in March. I think I read that the lunchtime crowd is pretty thick, but I am wondering how it is mid- to late- afternoon. If we go on Saturday, I will plan to arrive early.

Similarly, the stalls at Camden market proper were very crammed with people. We navigated our way through the stalls as part of moving stream of packed people.