Is Seville overrated?

Search

Is Seville overrated?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2003, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Seville overrated?

I've been reading old threads here and on Lonely Planet, and some people have said that they think this is an overrated city. We are middle aged and not looking for a party scene or nightlife. While big cities are okay, we have found on some of our other European trips that we tend to prefer the smaller more intimate places, and that frequently those places not so highly featured in the guidebooks because they lack major sights are often more interesting overall. In a 2 week trip to Andalucia next month, when we'd also like to see some smaller and lesser known places, how much time should we allocate to Seville? I had been thinking about 3 nights perhaps. Is that too many nights? We will pick up a car as we leave Seville, so things that some people might do as day trips from Seville we could do after we leave the city. Thanks for your thoughts on the subject.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 03:18 PM

It is not overrated in my opinion, it was my favorite place in Spain. Two or three nights should be enough though. The barrio and old town in Seville feel very small and intimate so you should enjoy it.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 02:53 AM

I agree with Debbier completely. It is quintessential Spain to me and a wonderful place to be. Doesn't feel big and has lots of places to walk and relax. Check out the Casas de la Juderia hotel for nice rooms and a wonderful southern Spanish feel. I'd say 3 days is a minimum. We've been there three times and stayed about 3 days each time and I'd go again in a heartbeat.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 03:14 AM

I cannot really comment on whether its overated, but may have some other recommendations. My wife and I have vacationed in Andalucia twice and have "driven past" Seville both times without stopping. Smaller (fairly non-tourist) towns within a few hours of Seville and well worth one or two nights are Cadiz (2-3 hours away) and Carmona (1 hour) -- both have quite a bit to offer. In addition, Zafra (in Extremadura) is so far off the tourist path that Spanish business associates whom I met after our visit were amazed we had been even heard of it, much less spent time there; but it is a small city that we thoroughly enjoyed. In all three locations we stayed at Paradors.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 05:35 AM

Just spent two nights in Seville and would have loved to have stayed longer. It's a lively interesting city with delightful little squares in the Barrio Santa Cruz where you can rest and relax. The gardens in the Alcazar are wonderful and we loved 'Pilate's House'- pure delight!
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 05:37 AM

The short answer is 'no.' It really is a very lively town and I would recommend a visit.<BR><BR>I do agree with Bojak, that if you're seekling an 'off-the-beaten path' experience, Sevilla ain't it! I also recommend Extremadura for that. We visited two lovely towns: Trujillo and Caceres and there weren't any tourists. But I would not miss Sevilla.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 06:09 AM

I agree that Seville is not &quot;off the beaten path&quot; but it's a beautiful small city with plenty to keep you occupied. It's one of my favorite cities, if only for the fact that when I first visited, in early April, the entire city smelled of orange trees. I definitely think Seville is worth three nights out of your trip. The cathedral is beautiful, as is the Royal Palace.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 07:05 AM

Overrated? Definitely not. We loved Seville and can't rate it highly enough. We stayed in the Santa Cruz area, steps away from the incredible cathedral and, if we are fortunate enough to return to Seville, that's where we would stay again.<BR><BR>If you are interested in Roman history, you might visit Italica, a short bus ride from Seville. Small site, but a great amphitheater. We enjoyed a boat ride on the Elquiver (spelling?), visited the Alcazar, took an evening horse carriage ride. <BR><BR>We went to Jerez de la Frontera on a day trip, where we visited a Sherry bodega and also had the privilege of attending a performance of the incredible Andulusian Horses.<BR><BR>Can't say enough good about Seville!
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 09:59 AM

just to add to everyone else i think sevilla is fabulous! i spent 3 weeks there sept 2001 and am returning this may. barrio santa cruz is great but is more touristy, go a few blocks into the center and you'll get away from that a bit. this is a great waking town and a bit easy to get lost as the streets are a maze, not all sraight lines as in most u.s. cities. so get a good map of the center. ya i suppose 3 nights would be sufficient to see sights, after 3 weeks there i still have things to go back and see, but i was there to study and was bad about getting in sight seeing... oh that lovely laid back way of spanish life! if you are there for 2 weeks see the mosque in cordoba and the beaches. life in andalucia is slow. don't rush your way through to get in as much as possible, you'll miss the great culture. ENJOY!
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 10:16 AM

Just to add to what keb0503 replied - it is possible to 'hang out with the locals' in Sevilla if you step a bit away from the central tourist area. We spent a delightful SUnday afternoon in the park (Maria Luisa something park). We rented a two-person bike and a row boat and just chilled watching all the families bringing their kids in. It was fun and relaxing.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your comments. I probably should have added that we like to just walk around interesting areas and lovely gardens and soak up the ambience. While I am sure we'll visit the Cathedral, my husband has said that he's pretty churched out after all of the churches we've seen on our other trips. Biking in the park sounds just like something we'd be interested in. So, if I would prefer a real neighborhood where real people shop and eat, I should stay away from the Barrio Santa Cruz? We much prefer visiting areas of the city where the locals stop to buy foods and hang out in small cafes over the areas that are non stop tour groups and souvenir shops. Guess I'll give it 3 nights on our itinerary. Thanks again.
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 07:56 PM

good to know your interests. i had to go find my map of sevilla to tell you good areas where not so many tour groups would be. although santa cruz is lovely, colorful and interesting. &gt;plaza nueva is in the center and just off calle sierpes and velazquez which are two major pedestrian shopping streets. lots of interesting shops -spent a good amount of money here.<BR>&gt;the museo de bella artes is beautiful.<BR>&gt;near plaza alfalfa there is a bar called nostrum if i remember right. always crowed after 11pm out to the sidewalks mix of locals and foreign students.<BR>&gt;the only thing i was cautious of was not to walk along the river at night unless was with large crowd. i knew two norweigen men who were mugged there. otherwise felt very safe. and took taxis a lot as seemed cheaper than here in seattle. its a lovely city for walking. made me come home and despise having to get everywhere by car.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 07:18 PM

My husband and I (late 40's) just returned from 2 weeks in Andalucia and we were glad we stopped in Seville. We had reservations for 4 nights, but ended up staying only 3, which was enough for us. We saw some of the city sights (the cathedral is the 3rd largest in the world), did shome shopping, and saw a flamenco show near our hotel (Las Casas de la Juderia). We also enjoyed listening to the hotel pianist and playing cards in the evening. On the minus side, the weather was a bit cool, there were quite a few beggars, and we both got sick (maybe food poisoning) for half a day or so.<BR><BR>I'll post a detailed trip report soon.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

keb0503--<BR><BR>I'm wondering about your comment about walking by the river at night. Is this anywhere along the river, or just in certain locations? Because of course this is exactly the type of thing we'd like to do especially if the river is like Budapest or Pris at night and beautifully illuminated. <BR><BR>Where is the Plaza Alfalfa? <BR><BR>I am looking at some places that are near the Plaza Ponce de Leon and Plaza Don Pedro area. How about that area instead of Santa Cruz. I guess I should also state that we don't really do shopping other than enjoying visiting local markets etc. Thanks again everyone.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 05:19 AM

Seville IS Spain. In every way. The food, the ambience, the music, the sights, the nightlife. All of those this embody the spirit of the country. Don't miss it, or you will regret it.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 09:27 AM

There is no way to overrate Seville. Someone said it IS Spain. I agree. We're a bit passed middle age and we love good food, especially good ambiance, and a little local music sets everything off. Oh, yes, a bottle or two of a good red wine doesn't hurt anything. In Seville our favorite of all was the old town where they sold beautiful plates in several of the stores. No, the plates weren't our favorite, but the sidewalk cafes in the center were. We all ordered paella and it was wonderful (never had any bad paella in Spain) and several bottles of wine. In May, the weather was perfect. Then strolling musicians played just for us (and our tips). Our service was perfect and patient, considering we lingered over lunch for nearly two hours. That night we picked up items from a grocery store plus more wine and had a wonderful midnight picnic on the rooftop where the pool was located. Our hotel window overlooked the walls of the city. Please don't miss this wonderful city.
Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 08:13 PM

sorry i had a hard time finding the thread. i could only find plaza ponce de leon on my map. there are so many plazas in sevilla evry few blocks it can seem that its difficult to find them. i would saw if you are only there for a few days that this is fairly far out. maybe a 15 min walk into the main center. but you are close to the macarena which i've heard is nice though didn't see. and you are near the casa de pilatos. the plaza is located between those two sites. plaza alfalfa is just a bit up of from the larger plaza del salvador.<BR>about the river. i only went down there at night once and was with 2 other girls and a guy so i felt safe. i'm not sure about any one part as i only went the section near the bullring. but maybe if you walk along the triana side it would be better. there are lots of restaraunts that have tables set up outside so the side walks are full of people eating. maybe there would be less theft with the people around. being female and small in size i am overtly cautious even at home. hope that all helped a bit.