Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is room facing street at back of Pensione Accademica in Venice OK?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 01:04 PM
jc

I manage to get a double room at the Pensione Accademia in Sept., as I heard good reviews about the hotel. But all the rooms with view facing canal are gone. They only have one facing back street. Should I book? Anyone who had stayed there please advise. Thank you.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 01:24 PM
ralph

We stayed there two years ago..it is a quieter area, so facing the street should not be a problem. We loved this place. Good choice.<BR>Cheers,<BR>Ralph

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 01:35 PM
gac

Does the room face the side calle (and rio) or the rear alleyway? Either way, the location is quiet and the hotel itself is wonderful.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 01:36 PM
Laurie

I just got home from the Accademia. The thing I liked best was our water view. I thought the back rooms faced an interior courtyard garden, also pretty. I might check La Calcina which is in the same general area but a bit further from San Marco. They will have more rooms with water views &amp; people on this site like it very much. It looked charming.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 02:28 PM
jc

The message from Luciano (hotel manager?) said that the only room left is a standard room &quot;OVERLOOKING THE BACK STREET OF THE HOTEL&quot;, so I assume that would be a small street or alleyway. If the hotel itself is great, I would rather stick with it and ask to be on the waiting list for a &quot;room with a view&quot; than going to another one. I have done fairly extensive research to settle on this hotel.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 02:35 PM
gac

stick with the Accademia. You won't be sorry you did.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 02:37 PM
mary kay

for JC:<BR><BR>Stick with your reservation at Pensione Accademia. It is such a charming place, that no matter where your room faces you should be happy. The rooms are well appointed and the breakfast is a cut above the usual. The area itself is charming. Go for it!<BR><BR>Mary Kay

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 11:26 PM
Pam

Rent &quot;Summertime&quot; with Katherine Hepburn(1955) you'll get a peak at your hotel and some great footage of Venice. Supposedly your hotel was where she &quot;stayed&quot;. It's a great spot..and the back street will be quieter. You are steps away from the Grand Canal.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 04:22 AM
Jimbo

We just got back from Venice on Sunday, stayed in Accademia for most of the time, it was excellent. GO FOR IT!

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 04:55 AM
jc

Thanks for all your &quot;encouragement&quot;. I made a mistake in reading the calendar! I should be going to Venice a week later, and the Accademia does have a &quot;room with a view&quot;. So I am happy, although I would also gladly stay in a room facing the back street too, after hearing all your positive feedback.<BR><BR>I did watch Summertime soem years ago, but didnit pay much attention to the hotel. I will remember to rent it again.<BR><BR>Thanks.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 06:21 AM
John G

I wouldn't even think of staying in any room in Venice that does not overlook a canal. There is nothing like waking up in the morning and looking out your window to see the gondolas and other boats going by. Nothing. Spring for a room with a view. You only live once.