Reload this Page >

Gite/Farmhouse Rentals in Provence & Tuscany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 04:51 AM
Karen

We are looking to rent a gite/farmhouse in both Tuscany and Provence. We would like high quality properties that will sleep 6 people, located either in a village or within easy walking distance of a village (1 kilometer or less). I know there are several postings for rental agencies, but cannot find any ratings for the properties. Does anybody have a personal recommendation, or know of an agency which rates their properties. Thank you. Karen

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 05:07 AM
Deborah

Karen, we stayed in a gite near Salon de Provence that we would recommend except it was not within walking distance to a village. All gites rented through the gites de france organization are rated and we have never been disappointed with our accommodations through them. They have a web site that describes the property and most include a picture, we've only stayed in gites while in France so can't help you with Tuscany. We are staying in a gite with friends this May in the Toulouse area, let me know if you need the website. Deborah

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 05:09 AM
Sue

Try www.gites-de-france for Provence. We rented a wonderful gite with 3 bedrooms near Gordes several yrs. ago; it was probably 2k from the village of Gordes. The Gites de France program does rate them, with ears of corn instead of stars. This place had 3 ears of corn; I would probably not rent one that had fewer. Our gite was well equipped and built in a style that was "typique de Provence." It was in the middle of olive trees and overlooked a poppy field; fresh herbs were growing around the house. It was an idyllic setting!

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 05:48 AM
elizabeth

We rented a property near Cortona from Classic Tuscan Homes - they have a property that sleeps 8 that's within walking distance of Cortona - here's a link to the site (and other properties as well)<BR><BR>http://www.classictuscanhomes.com/la_certosa/ref001.htm<BR><BR>The rental agents told us that this property is actually Bramasole from Under the Tuscan Sun - having read the book it certainly matched the description. In any event, we would strongly recommend Classic Tuscan Homes - it was our first villa rental experience and we were very pleased with their service.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 05:46 AM
lily

Try Slow Travellers site which has lots of first hand info from travellers who have rented villas, gites, etc.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 06:24 AM
Karen

Thank you everybody for your help. I am working on following up the suggestions. Karen