Villa rental in Tuscany or Provence?

Old May 10th, 2002, 10:55 AM
Hilary

Villa rental in Tuscany or Provence?

Hi there,
My husband and I and another couple are trying to decide where to rent a villa next May (for one week)--Tuscany or Provence? We are open to either place, but would love to hear back from some of you as what towns should we see and things to do in and around Tuscany for a week? Vineyards, shopping, restaurants, churches, olive oil???What town would you rent a Villa? Any good rental companies?
Many thanks for your input!

Old May 10th, 2002, 11:04 AM
monica

Check out www.slowtrav.com a website dedicated to this type of vacation. They have lots of great recommendations & resources.

Old May 10th, 2002, 12:28 PM
xxx

Try The Parker Company.com -- they have a great catalogue and are knowledgeable.

Old May 10th, 2002, 12:31 PM
FLJudi

We're leaving the beginning of June for both places - renting a villa for two couples in Provence (in Eygalieres) for a week and then driving to Tuscany to rent a villa for another week (in Barberino val d'Elsa between Siena and Florence.) We checked several internet sights and found our listings on www.VRBO.com. Here you deal directly with the owner. I can report back in late June about our experiences. We had such a good time driving around Provence and the Cote D'Azur for two weeks last year that we're back for a longer trip this year.

Old May 10th, 2002, 01:04 PM
MC

Hilary,you should look at www.tuscany.net
there's a lot of villas for rent all over tuscany (you can choose the area you are interested in).
I rented with them last year.
Have fun !

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 09:21 AM
ingrid

Judi,
can you let us know about your experience with the vrbo?

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 10:26 AM
canuck

We spent a week in Provence and a week in Tuscany...very do-able. We rented the place (2 bed./2 bath house with pool)in Provence thru Vacances Provencales out of Toronto (Mas Phyllis was the house. We've rented thru both tuscany.net and Bella Toscana and had great luck with both. Bella Toscana we rented a nice apt. called Fattoria Il Piano just outside San Gimignano and last year rented apt. with tuscany.net just south of Florence. All great places and reasonably priced.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 11:05 AM
FLJudi

Just returned from our trip to Provence and Tuscany and can report that the rentals we arranged through VRBO were great - large houses that are usually lived in by the owner, so are equipt with all the necessities of home. Locations were excellent.In Provence we stayed in a restored stone farmhouse outside of Eygalieres, a darling little town near St.Remy. It was easy to travel anywhere - one day we did the wine loop North through Vaison la Romaine, another day a trip to the coast to visit Cassis. The towns of Gordes, Bonnieux, Lourmarin, etc. are easy drives, as well as Arles, Avignon, Aix.

The villa in Tuscany was a reconstructed and modernized part of a medieval borgo (like a castle). The views out of the windows over the Tuscan countryside were to die for. House had gorgeous grounds and pool - which we loved after the very hot days in the Tuscan sun. We were about midway between Siena and Florence, and day trips were easy to all of Chianti. Visited Siena, St. Gimignano, the wine route, Monteriggione, Volterra. Loved Castellina in Chianti where Dean regularly stays (see his Toscana suggestions).

Working with the owners directly through VRBO was very easy - no middleman. Any questions I had were always answered, the payments worked easily, both owners were there when we checked in and were available by phone if we needed them.

Wouldn't hesitate to do this again.

Judi

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 03:38 PM
ingrid

Judi,
thank you so much for reporting back. I think I found the provence villa you rented. Also am intereste din one of the other ones (the one with the "Givenchy" kitchen) in Bonnieux(?) Also, thanks to cannuck for the Toronto website. Will check it out in more detail later.

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 06:46 AM
Tammy

Judi,
What is the name of the villa in Tuscany?

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 07:13 AM
FLJudi

Tuscan villa is called Villa Chianti, VRBO listing #5824.

Judi

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 07:21 AM
Tammy

Thank you Judi,
Do you have a website for VRBO?

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 07:26 AM
Tammy

I found it.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 03:49 PM
laura

Hilary-Last summer we rented a villa outside Lucca. It was charming and only 400 US dollars a week for 5 of us. We went through www.knowital.com and everything worked out great. From there we could easily get to Siena and Cinque Terre. If you want anymore details you can contact me and I'd be happy to help.
Laura

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 05:40 PM
donna

Hillary - I am renting a villa on the Amalfi Coast in September. We used www.internetvillas.com. They had a great selection in all prices ranges. I am sure they have vilas in Tuscany, too. Good luck