a moral dilemna-what would you do?

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 06:03 AM
lorna

a moral dilemna-what would you do?

OK-under the cloak of secrecy here - don't reveal your name. Recently was in a very busy restaurant in N.Y. When we arrived we were led to the bar and we decided to order our btl of wine there and then take it to our table when it was ready. Wine was $50 bottle. Table was ready quicker than they thought, btle of wine given to waiter to take with us to table. When bill arrived, no charge for wine. Probably thought we'd paid for it at the bar. Would you have brought it to their attention?

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 06:06 AM
Ira

Hi Lorna,
Since the waiter is going to end up paying for the wine, YES.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 06:09 AM
Howard

Yes, simply because it's the honorable thing to do.
A question for you now: Why are you posting this on the European forum?

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 06:20 AM
bobbie

Hi Lorna, I think that you are hoping that someone will absolve you, saying that it was their mistake so you shouldn't feel bad but the people here at fodors will not let you get off that easy. Do the right thing: go back and explain what happened and shell out the $50. I bet you'll feel good!

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 06:31 AM
Oenophile

Pay for the wine by contacting the restaurant. Just don't add a tip to it since half of the problem is their mistake. Chances are the waiter had to shell out the cash for it. You would feel so much better!

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 06:37 AM
K

Yes, I would have mentioned it.

But I agree with Howard, why are you posting the question here? This is the Europe forum.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 06:39 AM
lorna

Did I say I didn't pay for the wine? I don't think I said what I did...interesting how you assume I didn't pay for it!

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 06:40 AM
lorna

Actually I'm from London, England but was on vacation in N.Y.-this is the only forum I visit.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 06:43 AM
xxx

Well, lorna with your strange attitude "under the cloak of secrecy" and "did I say I didn't pay for the wine?" and your stupidity in posting on the wrong forum, I think it's a pretty good guess that no you didn't. You sound like an idiot and a bitch to me. A dangerous combination.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 06:47 AM
anotherxxx

The answer to your question is easy. Nice and considerate and honest people all would contact the restaurant and pay for the wine. Cheats and liars and nasty people would not. End of discussion.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 06:52 AM
xxx

This is not a dilemma. A dilemma is a situation where both choices have possible negative moral consequences. Here, there is only one choice which would be considered moral, the other is simply stealing. No dilemma here.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 06:58 AM
Sue

Lorna, what are you going to do with the answers to your question? Suppose half of us say "go for it kid" and the other half of us say "pay up." Then what?

Look, I can't control what you do, so telling you what to do, even if you request me to do so, is completely meaningless.

On what basis do you normally pay your bills to a business in general; not just a restaurant, but any business? Do you pay what you and they agree will be paid in advance, which is usually what is listed on the invoice (menu), plus tax, plus whatever additional charges (e.g. tips) are in effect? Do you pay whatever the business manages to force you to pay, regardless of what was agreed in advance, even if it was more than what was agreed? Less than what was agreed? Do you pay the business only that for which the salesperson (waiter) will be punished, if it is not paid? What if you knew that he wouldn't be punished, what then? Would you pay some, all, nothing, and how would you establish the amount?

Here's an idea: What do you think would be the most **efficient** basis, considering all factors (not just this transaction, but every transaction) on which to make your payments to businesses in general? Which system do you think you have the best chance of enforcing/controlling, or of having enforced/controlled on your behalf?

So, what are you going to do?

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 06:58 AM
OK

OK, under the cloak of stupidity here-I won't reveal my name.

Yes-we would have brought it to the attention of the waiter. If you planned on paying for it, it was not problem to pay for it. And you would be richer for being a good person rather than the many who daily spend their time thinking of ways to get out of paying for things. I believe they are called Cheats and Schnurrers(I am from NYC)
What would/did you do?

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 07:03 AM
duh

Sorry-I don't see any dilemna here!
You ordered a bottle of wine-You pay for it.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 07:07 AM
uncle sam

No wonder we have so many problems with ethics. Perhaps its from all those "situational ethics" classes being taught in the public schools!

This is a no brainer...YOU PAY FOR THE WINE...YOU BOUGHT IT and its THE RIGHT THING TO DO!

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 07:19 AM
xxx

Lorna, now I'm really confused. In your first post it appears you didn't pay for the wine. In your second post you give the impression that you did pay for the wine. Which is it? I will not sleep well tonight unless I know this answer.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 07:34 AM
unclesam

And none of you self-rightous sweeties never cheated on your tax forms, right?