Is Nimes worth a visit?

Search

Is Nimes worth a visit?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Nimes worth a visit?

G'day, all. The family is cycling in southern France again this coming summer.

My proposed itinerary involves starting with a couple of nights in Montpellier, a couple in Nimes, then a couple in Uzes, two more in Arles, and ending up for a few days (and the Fete du Bastille) in Avignon.

I'm hearing mixed reviews on Nimes. Is the town worth a two day visit, or might the time be spent more profitably elsewhere? Bear in mind that we'll be on bikes, therefore somewhat mobile but not nearly as much as if we were to rent an automobile. We don't wish to spend fewer than two nights in any one town.

TIA

J.

Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 03:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
We enjoyed Nimes, after touring Les Arénes, that ranks high next to other famous amphitheaters. Check out the superb staue in the square of a bullfighter; the cafés afross the street are fun, The Maison Carrée, a Roman Temple built some 1,900 years ago. A wealth of objects inside to view, a lot from Roman Nimes, a perfectly preservedmosiac floor and the city's single most celebrted sculpture VENUS DE NIMES. A walk through Les Jardin de la Fontaine is a pleasant stop to stroll with the locals.

Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 03:14 PM

I loved Nimes - much prefered it to Arles and Avignon. The tourist office rents an audio guide which brings you to all the highlights.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 03:29 PM

There are a lot of similarities between Arles, Avignon, and Nimes. Nimes is perhaps my least favorite - lots of urban sprawl (same for Avignon & Montpellier). Also I don't think the Nimes area is as pretty as other regions. I would choose to stay someplace with a different "look & feel" - perhaps out in the countryside in a small village for a change of pace.

I assume that you are not going to spend all your time in the city in the 2 days you have alocated for each - some of that time will be spend cycling between them, or on day-trip excursions.

The Luberon is laced with bike paths & it would be my choice for countryside & small perched villages (Gordes, Roussillon, Bonnieux, Saignon, Goult, etc). If you are real brave, consider staying in Bedoin & climb Mt Ventoux.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

"There are a lot of similarities between Arles, Avignon, and Nimes"

Hmmm. Good point. Perhaps I should rethink the route and try for a stop that is a little different.

"some of that time will be spend cycling between them, or on day-trip excursions."

Absolutely. Even numbered days cycling from point to point, odd numbered days kicking around town and sightseeing. I've done this before. Moving from town to town daily leaves you precious little time to see anything of them. And besides, one's butt can only take so much time in the saddle.

"If you are real brave, consider staying in Bedoin & climb Mt Ventoux."

Gawd NO. Brave I might be but never foolhardy.

Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 03:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Well, I for one do not find them similar, especially the people.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 05:11 PM

I like Nimes very much. I like it much more than Arles and Avignon. The Roman arena is one of the best preserved in Europe and you have to see the Pont du Gard, Roman aqueduct. Uzes I could take it or leave it. If you have the time try the Gorge Verdun. Without question one of the most beautiful spots in all of France. Do a Google search and look at some photos of the gorge.

Disclaimer: The above are just one guy's opinions, your's may vary.(but mine are better)

Larry J

Larry J
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 05:36 PM

I was in Nimes for the first time in June '06. I stayed only one night and hit a bull fight weekend. I'm sorry I didn't have more time there so I have Nimes on my list to visit when I return to France some day.
And this is after staying in a horrible hotel; the only one I could find when I hit town!
Sandee
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

"I stayed only one night and hit a bull fight weekend."

How cool is THAT? I wonder if I'll be able to catch one when I'm there. Perhaps I'll modify my itinerary so that I'll be able to do so!

<laughing, and ducking to avoid the stream of outrage and thrown objects anticipated from the considerable numbers of animal-rights zealots on this board>

But seriously, Sandee, what hotel might that have been, so that I might avoid it?