Is Newgrange interesting?

Aug 4th, 2006, 12:05 AM
Original Poster

Is Newgrange interesting?

I've heard there's a museum and ancient artifacts. Wondering if it is worth it...
Going in 2 weeks (mid-August).
Thanks!
Aug 4th, 2006, 01:59 AM
GBC

We spent a month in Ireland...of all the destinations we visited, we thought Newgrange was one of the most impressive. Unfortunately it doesn't 'fit' well in to a visitors likely route since it is about two hours drive from everywhere but we were very happy that we included Newgrange in our trip.
Aug 4th, 2006, 04:01 AM

This was one of my favorite moments during my first Ireland visit last October. DH and I took the Mary Gibbons tour from Dublin and I do reccomend the tour as well. We stopped by the Hill of Tara first and the entire bus ride was filled with history told by Mary herself.

Our next visit is sure to include Carrowkeel Passage tombs in County Sligo which is aligned with the summer solstice.

I found Newgrange very facinating. There is a lovely museum that takes about an hour or so to tour, as well as a 15 minute film where you are informed of the scientific guess as to what exactly Newgrange is and what the ancient stone writings could maybe be. (I thought that the whole mystery added to the atmosphere)

All of this occurs as you wait for your tram time to take you to the actual site. There is also a small gift shop and lunchroom. Great views of the countryside from Newgrange. A little bit more guessing from the tourguide, then you are led INSIDE the structure.

As this was our first trip to Europe from a very young country in comparison (USA), where anything older than 200 years is under guard, behind glass and 100 feet away well, I was enthralled to be there.

Crawling through the ancient rock, scraping the sides, lying my hands on the carved stone for balance and sharing a moment in a place where time seemed to disappear...past, present and future intertwined and I could hear each beat of my heart and realized that I had left another piece of it behind in this beautiful country.
Aug 4th, 2006, 06:10 AM

Newgrange is a fantastic experience if you have any interest at all in history or prehistory. I would reco it to anyone very highly.

However, based on the experience of our tour be sure you understand in advance what is involved. This is definitely not for anyone who has a problem with claustophobia - esp in the dark. And if you are a large person ask for a realistic estimation of your comfort before you enter. (There was one man in our group - granted perhaps 300 pounds - that the guide turned away at the last moment - since he feared the man would not fit through the very narrow stone passage.)
Aug 4th, 2006, 06:54 AM

I was there a few years ago during a college study abroad. It was a remarkable site and a wonderful way to spend an afternoon. However, it couldn't possibly take up any more time than that. The drive to and fro' is pleasant, with beautiful scenery (of course, it is Ireland, so what else could there be?).

Warning: If playing frisbee in the parking lot be careful. I took a nasty spill in the gravel.
Aug 5th, 2006, 12:06 PM

We really enjoyed both Newgrange and Knowth and thought them well worth visiting. The musuem is fine, but it's the sites that are worthwhile.

We arrived on a mid-August day at about 1:30 and got the last 4 tickets to Newgrange. If you go, get there early!

Aug 5th, 2006, 01:19 PM

We visited it on our first trip to Ireland, 24 years ago. Our next trip, this past March, was only for five days and we stayed in the west. As GBC pointed out, it didn't "fit" with that last trip.

But I'm really hoping that our daughter will find a way to get there when she's studying in Ireland next spring. I think Newgrange is a very memorable experience. And, with the length of time you'll have, I think it's well worth going somewhat out of your way.
Aug 5th, 2006, 01:27 PM

Couple of years ago we did Knowth (couldn't get tickets to Newgrange). You don't go down into anything
...fascinating with ancient pre-Celtic symbols. Yes, museum too.

Not far away: Trim Castle which is impressive and Hill of Tara which isn't much to see but so historic.

ozarksbill
Aug 5th, 2006, 01:48 PM

I agree with you about Tara, Ozarksbill. What I remember most about it was being struck by the fact that we were the only ones there. Just seemed amazing to me!
Aug 7th, 2006, 11:56 AM

Its a wonderful place and really teresting. I am pretty sure its older than the Egyptian Pyramids. Not bad for a bunch of backward heathens or so some thought!. I would not reccommend if you ar efreakd by tight places but I highly reccommend it.
Aug 7th, 2006, 12:14 PM

I agree, it is one of the most interesting places I have ever visited. I would love to be there on the solstice to see the ray of light enter the passageway.
Aug 8th, 2006, 06:08 AM

Apologies for all the typos yesterday I had a laptop in my lap! Not very stable.

They used to have a sheet to sign up for a small select few chosen each year to attend the solstice. I did not see that last time. During the millenium they set up cameras inside and the Teaseach (Preident or PM over here) attended as the old teaseach's or chieftans were believed to be buried here. It was so amazing to see on TV as the light slowly filtered in and lit the chamber. Its a mathematical wonder for the time it was built.
Aug 8th, 2006, 06:13 AM

I went to Newgrange, Knowth and Tara on my trip in 1996, and again to Newgrange and Tara last month. What a difference in Newgrange! The new museum is very informative, though the 'process' of getting out to the site is long and drawn out. When I went 10 years ago, you could park at the site and walk up.

Tara is unchanged so far - and both times I was able to climb up to the Mound of Hostages and just survey the land of Ireland out around me - beautiful, magical, and powerful. I'm glad I was able to recapture some of the wonder of my first visit there.

Aug 8th, 2006, 06:13 AM

Forgot to add, we made it a long daytrip from Dublin. Tara, then Newgrange, then Malahide, Knowth and home.
Aug 8th, 2006, 11:47 AM

It's a great spot to visit, and it's not far of the path between Dublin on Belfast, so most people can fit it in easily.
Aug 8th, 2006, 12:10 PM

As for the solstice viewing - I was there last September and they were accepting applications for a lottery drawing to visit on winter solstice.

I would definitely do Newgrange - so rich in history, and it absolutely will stir your imagination! - but also do Knowth - you can climb right on top of it!