Is Jaen worth visiting?

Oct 4th, 2002, 09:37 AM
kate

Is Jaen worth visiting?

Is one night in Jaen (after seville and before granada) worth it?

Oct 4th, 2002, 10:04 AM
cooter

I was in Jaen two weeks ago for a wedding, so I did not really have all that much time to see the city. Still, it seemed like a pleasant place and the Cathedral (where the wedding was) was very lovely with several interesting chapels, and the old neighborhood around the cathedral seemed inviting. Some smaller towns in the province seemd more interesting, but I did not get a chance to check them out.

It depends on how much time you have.
The olive oil was truly fantastic, though.

Oct 4th, 2002, 10:22 AM
Maribel

kate,
I think you'd really enjoy the Jaen Parador's stunning views from high atop the hill next to the Santa Catalina fortress with endless stretches of olive groves everywhere you look. We've always made it a rest stop on our way from Granada to other points. We've taken friends up there for the great photo ops and to have lunch. I wouldn't spend more than one night, though, as it gets kind of lonely up there after a while. The Parador itself is actually a modern structure, although the interiors give the impression of a castle, with vast vaulted ceiling lounge with enormous brasero, the baronial, cathedral-like dining room, suits of armour, flags, tapestries, etc. I believe most of the rooms have terraces as well.

Although downtown Jaen is an absolute maze and for me, just not all that attractive, it's certainly worth your trip down to see the
cathedral, a work of the architect Vandelvira, who was also the author of several Renaissance works in Baeza and Ubeda. There are also important arab baths, which I've never visited. It's just not my favorite Andalusian city, but we're planning a stop there during Holy Week to witness their famous Palm Sunday processions.

We just made the decision to stay at the Parador in Ubeda rather than Jaen on our slow journey to Seville, as we prefer that city and its ducal palace Parador there (which has been fairly recently renovated-the furniture in Jaen could use just a little refreshening, I think). But the long drive for you from Seville to Ubeda rather than Jaen would add 48 km.

Another route from Seville to Granada for you would be through pretty Ronda, but perhaps you've already been there and are looking for something different?

Oct 4th, 2002, 10:25 AM
Maribel

Hi cooter,
Didn't see your post while composing mine! Did the wedding party have their reception at the Parador, by any chance?

Oct 17th, 2002, 01:57 PM
cooter

Maribel:

didn't see your post until now; no, unfortunately the reception was not at the parador. It was some distance out of town (Los jardines de ????) and lots of fun, but I kept looking up at the fortress...sadly, did not get a chance to go up there this trip.

I did enjoy downtown, though, and the Cathedral was stunning.