Is it safe to drive in Santorini?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2006, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had heard that the road from Fira to Oia is very dangrous to drive for the travelers. Is that true?
Shoud we rent a car from internet or rent on the Island when we arrive there?
car or scooter? which is better?
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 07:57 PM

We were in Santorini last summer and rented a car. The island was very easy to drive and lots of fun. We didn't plan to do this until we arrived. We rented after we arrived - may have paid more, but it was reasonable and we used our car to get to the airport on the day of departure, saving a taxi ride. There are some very narrow streets in places, but it made the ride all that more exciting. Think you will enjoy having a car for at least one day to explore the island.
AKNIC
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 09:47 PM

WE (family of 5)rented a car for the day and drove from tip to tip, The red beach to Oia, with a few diversions either side! I did not find it a problem at all, and thats with me getting used to the fact that they drive on the wrong side of the road !! (Aussie centric viewpoint ).
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 12:00 AM

Hi

I rented a car and did the road from Fira to Oia. It is safe - wide and modern (sealed). I remember quite a few sharp bends but just take it easy you'll be fine.

There's a few threads on scooter hire. Are you a competent/experienced bike rider? There are quite a few scooter (read motorbike) accidents and fatalities on the Greek islands because tourists treat scooters like a toy. These tempermental little beasts are anything but! If no previous experience rent a car with a sunroof - they're fun too.

Have fun, play safe