Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is it easy to navigate Leonardo da Vinci airport?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2009, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be landing at the Leonardo da Vinci airport. The ADR.it page does not have a detailed map of the airport. Is the INFO kiosk located in the arrival level? Does anyone know of a web page that shows a detailed map of the airport?

Is there a good hotel connected to the airport? My tour starts at the airport the next day.

Thanks.

Old Jan 31st, 2009, 07:19 PM

There are very detailed maps here:
http://rome-airports-shopping-galler...php?method=map

Click on Services Menu and you'll see all the symbols.

The only hotel actually connected to the airport is the Airport Hilton.
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 07:25 PM

The INFO kiosk is conveniently placed in the middle of the baggage area, so you'll be right there beside it while you wait for your luggage.

It's not a pretty airport, but it's easy enough to navigate. I can't imagine having a major problem finding something there.

Can't help you with hotels there.
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 07:27 PM

Here is some general info I found interesting.

At Leonardo da Vinci the airport operator, Aeroporti di Roma, is spending large amounts of money in expanding and upgrading terminal facilities to meet the needs of growing traffic numbers and shaking off the airport's rather modest reputation.

There are now three terminals one of which, Terminal C, is linked to a satellite. The handsome new Terminal A is for domestic flights and replaces spartan facilities. Terminal B, a light and airy place, has a dual role handlng international and a number of domestic services. Terminal C looks after major international flights and is connected to Satellite C, a mini-terminal in its own right with a full range of shopping, catering and other services.

International passengers will find the satellite a big improvement on the old days when the only way to reach the aircraft steps on many flights meant a bus ride across the apron and the prospect of getting wet on rainy days. Despite all the money spent on the satellite, however, the risk has not entirely been removed. Three of the 14 gates are still the prelude to a bus journey to a parked aircraft. How did that happen?

The satellite is connected to Terminal C by the "Skybridge" automated rail shuttle, the first of its kind in Italy, and there are plans to extend the service to the rest of the airport. That will be welcome news for those who have tramped the endless walkways - the moving walkways are only a partial help - which link the terminals.

New shopping and catering areas have been introduced in Terminal B as the plans to sharpen up the image and quality of Rome's major airport gathers pace.
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 03:14 AM
Original Poster

Zerlina,
I just scan the web page you gave me and it looks great! It's good to know that there is a reputable hotel connected to the airport. Reminded me of GAtwick airport.

I'm very grateful for your help. Many thanks and all the best.

St Cirq,
Wow, what more can I ask!!! You greatly relieved me of my anxiety about this airport.

Many, many thanks.

D
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 03:18 AM
Original Poster

Danj2,
You are a font of info! It appears that I'll be arriving in terminal C. Now that I have this info I feel more at ease.

I really appreciate the details. Thank you so much.
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 06:04 AM

I have been there 3 times.
Usually at 6am, so it is a miracle I have any memory.

I did copy the info from website