Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Detroit airport: 5 hour layover anything to do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Per their custom the airlines have changed our flights from a 1 hour layover to a 5 hour layover. Anything to do at the airport or nearby surroundings?
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:49 AM

There isn't much immediately surrounding the airport. You'd probably have time to take a car service somewhere for a meal, but there are enough eating options in the airport that I'd probably just stay there, since you'll have to go through security when you get back anyway.

If you'll be in the NW terminal, sitting and watching the fountain in the center of the concourse is fun for a while. And the concourse is good for a walk to stretch your legs between flights.

You can see terminal maps here:

http://www.metroairport.com/maps/download.asp

to see what restaurants and shops are available.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 05:21 AM
dkw

In short......no
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 06:32 PM

The McNamara Terminal is the name of the new NW terminal. There is a Westin Hotel with a nice, upscale American-Asian restaurant - Dema's.

The terminal also has an OraOxygen Dayspa - you can arrange massage, manicure, etc. You can check it out on jlm's web link above.

The shops are fairly interesting. The terminal is serviced by a monorail - could ride it back and forth to your heart's content
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 07:52 PM

The first two by SusanEva are both great suggestions. I love the airport Westin Hotel - it has a very calming vibe. And you never have to leave the terminal. We usually stay there if we have an early flight. I didn't know about the dayspa, I'll have to check it out. However, I must differ on the monorail ride. It goes from one end to the other without stopping and you can't see anything inbetween. Takes about 3 minutes. How many times can one do that?

Unfortunately, there isn't much around the airport that you can get to without being anxious about getting back in time. The best nearby attractions are Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village, both of which could require the major part of a day.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 07:12 AM

About the only interesting thing to do in that ariport is watch the fountin. But that will pale soon.

You might also find a walk over to concorse B & C interesting. It has kind of a sound an light show. Like walking through and iceburg.

If you like Coney Islands, National Coney Island in the terminal has good ones.

Keith
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 03:05 PM

Hi Maggi,

LOL, Totally agree...I was teasing about the monorail....