Is Easy Car really that easy?

Aug 30th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Is Easy Car really that easy?

First time renting a car in Europe. Found EasyCar.com on-line w/best rates. Any comments? We have not driven manual tranmission in a while. Easy enough to "relearn" in southern Spain?
Aug 30th, 2007, 08:00 PM
rex

Two separate questions here:

Is EasyCar "easy"? (though you don't really ask that, in the body of your question)... reliable? honest/trustworthy? Hopefully someone else can answer that - - I didn't realize that they are in so many cities (I thought they were best known in London and a few very large cities, and have mileage charges that made their prices deceiving, but maybe their business model has changed).

And... is it "easy enough" to "relearn to drive a car with a standard transmission? Surely worth your while to plan a refresher afternoon with a friend''s car or rental before travleing - - but yes... it should be.

Best wishes,

Rex
Aug 30th, 2007, 09:32 PM

If your question's about EasyCar, be aware that their rate structure is typically a low per day price, and cripplingly high mileage rates over some derisory minimum (like 70 miles a day). There have also been frequent public complaints in the UK press about Spanish offices closing before flights arrive.

Look through their small print with a VERY powerful magnifying glass. And err on the high side in estimating your mileage.
Aug 31st, 2007, 03:38 AM

I wasn't aware that they had opened up abroad, but my experience in London a few years ago wasn't bad. I understood them to be filling a gap in the market, for people who only need a car for a few hours (say, to pick someone up at the airport). Some of their outlets had a reputation for a while of trying to stick on minor damage charges for things that didn't get picked up when the car was first hired, so if you do go with them, make sure you inspect thoroughly for minor scrapes and paintwork flaws before you leave.
Aug 31st, 2007, 04:55 AM

We've used Easycar in the UK a few times with no problems. I thought we'd booked unlimited mileage. The only thing we had to remember was you need to take the car back washed, so make sure you know where there's a nearby carwash which will be open. We've probably had better hire cars from Easycar than from anywhere else - the nice comfortable Mercedes A-class.

I've been put off using them abroad when touring & leaving luggage in the car as they used to have big 'Easycar' stickers on, which you'd get penalised for removing (thought this might attract thieves); but at Venice airport last month I noticed theirs didn't have the stickers, so maybe they've stopped that.
Sep 1st, 2007, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your responses. This is exactly the information we were looking for. Since we plan day trips with undetermined distances, the mileage pricing could be a concern. Appreciate the heads up on office hours, damage review, and special req. i.e. car wash. Thx again.