Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

In our 70s - CAN WE RENT A CAR IN THE UK?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 04:52 PM
Jo

We are in our 70s. Will there be any problem re: car rental in London and Scotland?<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 05:27 PM
janis

You will have to shop around but should be able to rent a car. Every rental agency seems to have different limits -- some under 70, some under 75 and some will rent to older folks. Your best bet will be with the major international companies such as Hertz, etc.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 10:27 PM
janis

Topping for Jo. (You did not need to start a new thread)<BR><BR>More info . . .<BR><BR>For 99% of visitors it makes absolutely no sense to rent a car in London. Parking is very expensive and almost non-existant, and the traffic is worse than in Manhattan. Public transport will get you everywhere in or near London.<BR><BR>If you need a car because you will be staying outside of London - then rent your car away from the city. For most folks renting at LHR or LGW makes sense.<BR><BR>Same goes for Scotland - you do not need/want a car in Glasgow or Edinburgh. So whichever city you arrive at - pick up your car out at the airport.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 04:52 AM
Rob

www.budget-uk.com<BR>Maxm 75

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 09:12 AM
Lynda

avis will rent to people in their 70's. I just booked a trip for a lady who is 82 and renting a car in England..you do not need a car in London...only in the country should you try to drive and then you should pay the extra for an automatic transmission because not only are you driving on the wrong side of the car, you are sitting on the wrong side and would be shifting with the wrong hand!!!!! Most Europeans drive manual cars so automatics are harder to get..

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 09:13 AM
Lynda

I meant to say driving on the wrong side of the road...my fingers got ahead of my brain...sorry...