is cyprus safe now?

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 11:13 AM
worried

is cyprus safe now?

those who live in Cyprus- what are the concerns you have at this moment in time? If any.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 10:59 AM
worried

ttt

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 11:19 AM
xxx

Cyprus is safe. I don´t live there, though. But hundreds (if not thousands) of northern European pensionaries spend their winters in Cyprus. It is also a popular charter destination.

Also northern Cyprus is getting popular again. People take charter flights to Alanya in Turkey, and then make a 4 hour ferry trip to northern Cyprus, stay there and take a ferry back to Alanya and a charter home.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 12:39 PM
anon

worried
I heard in the news that cyprus is within striking distance of Iraq. did you know that the Uk has an airforce base there?

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 12:44 PM
ca

They are NOT on the U.S. State Department warning list.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 12:45 PM
cyp

What do you mean by "now"? Was Cyprus unsafe before?

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 01:03 PM
worried

cyp
I meant "now" as I've always thought it was safe enough in the past. Like "anon" I have also heard about Cyprus being in the firing zone.CA- I know there is nothing official - but I really would like to hear from anyone in Cyprus now. Do they have any concerns?

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 01:12 PM
cyp

Don't worry! Cyprus is a pretty safe place to be! To tell you the truth I have never been to Cyprus-I live in Athens, but since Cyprus is so closely related to Greece, I know many things about the place. Besides I have I couple of Cypriot friends who study here in Athens and keep me informed about the situation there. So don't worry! But if there, DON'T visit the northern part of the island. It is occupied by the turkish army. Going there gives support to the illigal regime!

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 01:15 PM
ca

you know what's funny worried?
My boyfriend has a friend in Cyprus- he owns a olive grove, plantation...and we we were thinking of going to see him when we go to Greece this summer and I freaked out for the same reason. And yes Cyprus has been "unsafe" to foreigners in the past... a little tiff between Turkey and Greece has put it on State Department warnings for Americans so I say it's off the list with great relief.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 01:29 PM
worried

Thank you SO MUCH everyone! It is great to hear people's opinions. I've probably just been a little too paranoid, which is not really "me" usually.