Reload this Page >

Berchtesgaden from Salzburg

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 06:48 PM
Elsa

Does anyone know if there is a train from Salzburg to Berchtesgaden and Villach which is south of Berchtesgaten? I was hoping to take the train from Salzburg to Munich and then rent a car there. We preferred not to rent a car in Austria on I believe it was Art's (or maybe one of Fodor's other knowledgable posters) advise. It would be one thing if we were touring a lot of Austria and therefore needed the car. However, we're not so I hate to pay the high taxes in Austria & then drive right over the border from Salzburg into Germany.<BR><BR>Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.<BR><BR>Thanks in advance.

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 08:27 PM
Linda

If you go to the bahn.de website, you will find a number of trains to Berchtesgaden from Salzburg and buses as well (which take less time than the train). We traveled from Munich to Berchtesgaden so I know you can continue on afterward. Be sure and go up the mountain in the glass and brass elevator to Hitler's Eagle's Nest.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 05:53 AM
Elsa

Thanks Linda for your response.<BR><BR>Does anyone know if it worth going to Bischoshofen, Badgastein, and/or Villach from Salzburg?

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 12:07 PM
x

ttt<BR><BR>Where is Villach?

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 01:35 PM
Bob Brown

First, let me suggest that you not rent a car in Salzburg because of the high tax rate, something like 21%.<BR>Also, I rented two weeks ago from Avis and nearly said something unprintable when I learned that I had to pay $20.00 a day for an extra driver.<BR><BR>If you want to drive south of Salzburg, the most scenic place I know of is the Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse. This is a toll road that goes over the backbone of the Austrian Alps and leads to a quaint, picturesque little village called Heiligenblut. <BR><BR>Thhe Hochalpenstrasse is a typical mountain road, full of twists and turns, but it is well engineered. An extension of the road on the south side of the mountains leads to the Franz Josef viewpoint. The viewpoint overlooks the Grossglockner mountain itself and also provides a view of the longest glacier in the eastern alps.<BR><BR>On the north side, the view from the Edelweissspitze is fantastic. This point can be reached via a spur road that leads from the main highway. <BR><BR>We stayed overnight in Heiligenblut and explored some of the surrounding area. <BR>We went as far west as Krimml Falls, which are scenic, but not as much so as I had anticipated.<BR><BR>Once you leave the A10 route, traffic is slow because the route is essentially urban driving.<BR>