Innsbruck to Salzburg

Apr 25th, 2013, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

Innsbruck to Salzburg

Hi want the best route to take from Innsbruck to Salzburg via the Grossglockner.
Also can we do it in 5-6 hours or better to stay night at Lienz.
And how are the roads on Grossglockner. Am planning to rent a Automatic car like the Passat or Merc C class. Will that be ok. Read on forum that automatic is not good but I can't drive a manual.
We r planning trip in mid June. Hv 4 days for Innsbruck and Salzburg. Any other suggestions most welcome. Tks a lot.
Apr 26th, 2013, 06:55 PM

Cars you mention are no problem. A/T will just be more expensive to rent. Request a Diesel; you may not get it, but fuel would be less expensive. Gasoline is about US$8 a gallon.

Check on a map this routing.Innsbruck on the A-12 autobahn east as far as Jenbach exit (#43). Be sure you have the toll vignette (sticker) before you enter the autobahn in Innsbruck.Costs you about $10 for 10 days. Available at any gas station and - most likely - also at rental car agency.

From Jenbach head south along the Zillertal to Heizenberg, Route 165. Head east on Route 165 to Mittersill. Along the way you go over the Gerlos Pass (easy driving) and past the Krimml Falls. From Mittersill take the Route 168 to Bruck am Grossglockner. However, I suggest that you spend the night in nearby Zell am See. You want to start the Grossglocknerstrasse from Bruck fairly early in the morning, before the tourist busses arrive. You will have no problem getting to Lienz in 5-6 hours. But you really don't have to go to Lienz. You could stay in Heiligenblut or Winklern, and then take the Routes 106/139 to Spittal and pick up the autobahn A-10 there, northbound to Salzburg. If you have the time, spend a night or day day enroute in Millstatt at the Millstaetter See (Hotel Forelle), and on the next day drive to Salzburg via Hallstatt. For that, get off the A-10 in Golling, and take Routes 162/166 east to Hallstatt.

After Hallstatt take the 145 to Bad Inschl, and the 158 to Salzburg.

This whole routing is very scenic, good roads.
Apr 26th, 2013, 09:03 PM
Original Poster

Tks a lot... But in terms of choosing place for night Woukd u think Zell is better than Inbsbruck or Lienz. Akso if I hv total 4 days for these 2 locations how Woukd u reco to break it up.
Finally any other place along the way that u think is a must see...
I'm traveling with my wife and daughter... Like scenery and akso rides etc
Tks again for your help...
Apr 28th, 2013, 04:24 AM

Hi,

Are you starting in Innsbruck? I ask since you asked if you should stay in Zell am See or Lienz instead of Innsbruck. My opinion, I like Zell am See better than Innsbruck.

To drive from Innsbruck, over the Grossglockner and then to Salzburg would probably be too much for 1 day. I'd figure on 6 hours in the car not including any stopping.

Me, I'd follow "treplow" route from Innsbruck to the Grossglockner Road, but I'd drive the Grossglockner and overnight in Heiligenblut, which is at the southern end of the Grossglockner Road. Next day, I'd drive the Grossglockner in the opposite direction and then on to Salzburg. You could also go via Lienz, Spittal, etc.

If you have 4 nights to split between Innsbruck and Salzburg, I'd do 2 in each place. If driving the Grossglockner is a must, then 1 in Innsbruck, 1 in Heiligenblut and 2 in Salzburg.

Keep in mind, the Grossglockner isn't worth driving if the weather is bad. Best to have a backup plan.
Apr 28th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Tks a lot... Am planning the Grossglockner and beg from Innsbruck. If hv to do a back up what so u suggest ... Base at Innsbruck and do more trips around there or Salzburg. And u think staying overnight at Helingbkut Bette than Zee Am lee. Tks again for your help.
Apr 30th, 2013, 11:46 PM
Original Poster

Tks... Am also planing to do a drive thru black forest while staying at Stuttgart. Want to know if possible to combine a short drive thru black forest to get a feel and do Europa park in one day from Stuttgart. And what is best route for this?? Tks a lot.

Search this Thread