Hotels in Salzburg and Innsbruck

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for advice on hotels in Salzburg. We'll be spending probably 2 nights there. We are looking for a mid-range comfortable place to stay. We usually pay around $100-$120 for hotels in the US, but are happy to find things cheaper. We aren't looking for a hostel, but we aren't looking for the "Ritz" either.

We will also be traveling from Salzburg to Innsbruck - any suggestions on hotels in Innsbruck? Any suggestions on a scenic "route" in between those two cities and things to see along the way?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
Thanks,
Jessica
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 11:03 AM
ira

Hi S,

I can highly recommend http://www.ammoos.at/main.php?language=en&m=home)

It is right on the bus route, about 12 min from downtown. Excellent hosts.

Get the Salzburg card: http://www.salzburg.info/de/sehenswe...card/index.htm

Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 11:26 AM

Ira - funny thing about the AmMoos - I sent an e-mail asking about lodging and didn't hear back from them until about two years later.
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 11:33 AM

You could stop in Hall in Tirol on the way. We did the drive from Hall in Tirol (about 20 minutes from Innsbruck) to Salzburg, and I believe we used two autobahns. It was a really easy drive, and in fact, I drove it on the way back. Hall in Tirol is a tiny little town, but that makes it really easy to get around. You could stop and have lunch/dinner there, have a quick look around, and be on your way to Innsbruck. All of this can easily be done in less than a day.

Sorry I can't be of help accommodations-wise. I've stayed in a hostel in Salzburg, but that's not what you're after. I'm sure others on this board will have advice for you though.
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 12:48 PM

I can't help you with hotels directly in Salzburg but I have seen many folks comment on the "Am Moos" and that they were happy with it. If you want to stay directly in Salzburg, that's fine. Salzburg is a charming, beautiful place.

If you have a car, there are many regions surrounding Salzburg where you can stay for less money, generally a larger room, and lots more local culture. Let us know if you would consider that.

For Innsbruck, I did want to say that staying directly in Innsbruck is a bit of a let down unless you have a reason for staying there. Again, there are many charming towns on the outskirts. I spent one night there and we left early simply because it is not such an attraction.
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 12:59 PM

I may get in trouble for not directly answering your question, but IMO and others on Fodor's, Hall in Tirol is a much better place to stay than Innsbruck. The old town is actually larger than that of Innsbruck and has much more to offer due to the wealth brought to the town from the salt mines.

Hall in Tirol also had it's own mint which is now a museum. There are many lovely churches and beautiful cobble stoned streets.

The Gasthof Badl is a friendly, rustic hotel with nice owners located right on the River Inn with the mountains right in your face. It's just a short 5 minute walk across the wooden bridge to the old part of Hall.

www.badl.at

You are still only a few kilometers from Innsbruck and can go there as a day trip from Hall on the train or bus. Also to the east of Hall is Wattens, home of the Swarovski's Crystal World.

http://www.regionhall.at/
http://www.hall-in-tirol.at/110.html
http://kristallwelten.swarovski.com/...e/homepage.php
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 06:49 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi,

Just wanted to "second" bettyk's idea. We also liked our 3 stays at the Gasthof Badl.

Paul
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 03:45 AM

Check out Weisse Taub and Hotel Am Dom, both charming and reasonable.
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 05:19 AM

My husband and I stayed at Binders hotel in Innsbruck in 2005(www.binders.at). We found it to be a good value, clean and a good breakfast included in the price. I believe they also let us use the computer in the breakfast room to check email. We visited the old town area, and I found a rather large Chirstmas store. I like to buy ornaments from the places we visit. After that we went up to Nordpark(www.nordpark.com). We very much enjoyed that, you can stop half up or down the mountain and go to the Alpenzoo. We had wonderful weather the day we went, the views from the top of the mountain were spectacular, cold at the top but half way down at the zoo it was nice and warm and great to be outside. We really liked our visit to Innsbruck. The hotel was very convenient for public transport. When we arrived we walked there, but after that we took the street car. If you like a nice clean hotel, nothing fancy and being outside, I would recomend all of the above.
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 07:58 AM

<<Check out Weisse Taub and Hotel Am Dom, both charming and reasonable.>>

These are in Salzburg.
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 06:59 AM

We loved the Turnerwirt.
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 07:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really enjoyed staying at www.weisseskreuz.at on the main pedestrian street in Innsbruck. Of course, I did wind up with one of the two rooms with a bay window so I could look both ways down the street (and right at the "golden" roof).
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

I am finding that hotels in Salzburg are expensive! We will have a car, so staying out of town is an option. My only concern is that we only have one full day in Salzburg and I want to be sure we are not too far away.

Another option I am considering is spending one of the nights we were going to stay in Salzburg in Berchtesgaden instead. We are planning on doing a day there anyway and maybe we should just spend the night there and drive into Salzburg for the day we spend there and then we only have to get one night in Salzburg.

Any thoughts on that plan? How far is the drive from Berchtesgaden to Salzburg? We'd be going on a Monday morning - is there a lot of traffic and what's available for public parking if we can't check into our hotel until later in the afternoon.

Or...we'll just do the two nights in Salzburg...not sure yet.

Thanks again!
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 10:24 AM

I think moving twice in two days when these two cities are so very close together does not make sense.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 11:03 AM

It's only about a 30 minute drive from Salzburg to Berchtesgaden or vice versa.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...9&ie=UTF8&z=11

Stay in one place and do the other as a day trip.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 02:28 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi,

I'd also suggest staying in one place for Salzburg and Berchtesgaden. As bettyk points out, it's only 30 minutes drive from one to the other. If you'r finding the hotels in Salzburg to be too expensive, consider a B&B in the Berchtesgaden area. We stayed twice (and are staying again this fall) at the

www.mayringerlehen.de

in Ramsau, 10 minutes from Berchtesgaden.

You can also check out:

www.ramsau.de

www.berchtesgaden.de/en/startseite.html

Paul
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 02:29 PM

There are many choices in and around Berchtesgaden. You can get some nice guest houses a lot cheaper than staying in the city.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 02:41 PM

We stayed at this hotel in Salzburg: http://www.cordial.at/frames/i_frame_hot.html. Nothing fancy, but we liked it a lot, and it was $100/night. We had only two days in Salzburg and really appreciated being in the city center.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 03:21 PM

isemida, I checked that website and the prices were nowhere close to $100 per night.

Are you talking about the hotel on Schallmooser Hauptstraße? If so, you need to check out the website you provided.
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 07:01 PM

bettyk, sorry about that, it does look like the prices are a lot higher on the site. It is the same hotel we stayed at though...and we paid $105 per night this June. It may have been a last-minute deal though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -